• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Lucas Vs Bendix Vs Girling - Rear Brake Differences

Mad Professor

Good day all.

As per the topic title, I would like to know what are the differences of the rear brakes for Lucas vs Bendix vs Girling.

For example if I was replacing all the parts regarding the rear brakes (Drum Type), does it matter if I use Lucas vs Bendix vs Girling, as I would be replacing the brake wheel cylinder, brake shoes, etc.

And is there any pro's and con's from said makes, besides the prices.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

welshpug

the hole in the blackplate for the wheel cylinder differs, also gti drums are wider (40mm) base model are 30mm.

also base models use integrated pressure limiters in the wheel cylinders, gti and euro rallye, and ABS models uses inline units (euro rallye uses 1.6 gti braking system)

lucas is girling btw.

girling has oval hole for wheel cylinder mounting, bendix is round

Mad Professor

Ok thanks.

I had a feeling the backplate differs, at least now I have a way of telling the wheel cylinder without removing the hub, oval vs round hole for mounting.

This is for my 205 GRD, and as I understand it, this uses all base model parts.

Mad Professor

With a quick look under the car the GRD has the round hole mounted wheel cylinder, so this would be once of the bendix types.

welshpug

useful website for checking pictures.

http://www.brakesint.co.uk/

worth noting, girling ABS is round hole, but the bleed nipple is directly above the brake line port, not next to it as per other two variants.

there's also a rare larger bore cylinder for non servo vehicles.

Edited by welshpug

pug_ham

As well as the different backplate, you can tell the difference by looking at the size of the bleed nipple into the rear wheel cylinder, 10mm is Girling as found on the 1.6 GTI & 13mm is base model with built in compensator.

g

• Like 1