• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

16" Ouragons - 406 Vs 206

24seven

I asked on the GTi6 forum but it seems to have drawn a blank so thought I'd ask here too.

Supposedly the 16" Ouragons/Nimrods were made with different offsets depending on whether they were to fit a 406 of a 206, with the 406 ones being better suited to a 306. My question is, how do I tell the difference? I have a partial set of 3 wheels supposedly from a 406, but I can't see any markings that point to what offset they are, just the diameter and width. There are plenty of other markings, such as "Ouragon - 16 - 2" and other numbers I can't make much sense of (I've looked for an ET## but can't see one). Does anyone know if any of these will convey which wheels I have?

calvinhorse

Try one on, if you have the 206 wheels they will fowl the trailing arm and touch the front shock?

Just an idea!

If they turn out to be 206 wheels I've got a spare ;)

24seven

On a 205 they might foul, but on a 306 I'm pretty certain they'll fit whichever type they are - the only problem I had with the ones on my last 306 was with 205/45 tyres on the rear they would rub the inner arch cover slightly. If mine do turn out to be 206 ones I'll probably take you up on that, thanks. :)

welshpug

206 ones, tyre dependent, will fit the front on a 1.9+base model hub, fit a 309 with 5mm spacer so the tyre doesnt rub the trailing arm.

The offset should be on there, 28 and 20 were the figures for the 16" wheels iirc, will see if i have my pics showing the markings.

• Like 1

pug_ham

There is a visible difference if you know it with the bolt holes, 406 Ouragans have a deeper recess iirc;

206;

post-71-0-65325100-1359465799.jpg

post-71-0-87331500-1359465803.jpg

406;

post-71-0-34223100-1359465801.jpg

post-71-0-27863800-1359465806.jpg

Other than that it should be in the stamp on the alloy somewhere stating the different offset ET27 & 406 are ET20.

g

• Like 1

24seven

Thanks Mei/Graham. I'll look at them again and see if I can find anything else relating to 20 or 27.

That last 406 picture is actually the eBay one I'm looking at as a 4th. I wanted to double check the offset with the seller but they couldn't find it anywhere either. I'll get a snap of mine and upload to compare the bolt holes.

24seven

Mei, is this the marking you're referring to?

P1020952.jpg

The 3 I have are said to be from a 406, so if that "20" is the offset then I guess that confirms it.

[edit] ok I have no idea why that picture is so large, I resized it to 500 pixels wide before uploading it. :S

Edited by 24seven

welshpug

That's the numbers you need, those would be the 406 variant, here's the 206 ones I had.

PICT0388.jpg

• Like 1

24seven

Spot on. Cheers folks! :)

pug_ham

Guy, can you weigh one of the 406 Ouragans, even better if you have one without a tyre on please?

Also, what size tyres are you using with them on a 306?

Think I need 205-45/16 for my set when I've picked them up.

g

welshpug

yes, 205 45 is what you need on a 306, not only for the closest to stock rolling circumference but to sit nicely on a 6.5" wide rim and give the rim a bit of protection :)

24seven

They've still got the tyres on at the moment and I don't have any scales, but I'll ask if I can pull the tyre off one of them in uni tomorrow and get it weighed if I can. They're not the lightest of wheels though. According to whichwheels.co.uk the 16" 206 ouragans are 10.1kg, presumably without the tyre.

I had 205/45 tyres on the 206 ouragans fitted to my last 306 which was definitely the right choice. As Mei said they sit much better on the rims with just the right amount of lateral ballooning on the sidewall, plus any deeper/shallower profile would look a bit odd on a 306 I think.

dave richards

On a 205 they might foul, but on a 306 I'm pretty certain they'll fit whichever type they are - the only problem I had with the ones on my last 306 was with 205/45 tyres on the rear they would rub the inner arch cover slightly. If mine do turn out to be 206 ones I'll probably take you up on that, thanks. :)

on a 205 the 206 wheels do hit the inner arches but it is only just a small spacer on my rack has stopped it :)

Edited by dave richards

pug_ham

Thanks Guy.

Yeah, I used an online tyre size calculator & 205/45/16 gave less than a 1% overall difference iirc & tyres are about £12 more for Falken 914's over 195/55/15.

I've got 15" ouragans on there now but they look too small. :(

If the weather doesn't turn rubbish again tomorrow I'm going to try & pick them up but they have tyres on which are 406 size so will be taken off & two scrapped, the other two have decent tread left so I'll possibly try to sell them.

I'm not bothered about an exact weight, bathroom scales will suffice if its too much hassle to get a tyre removed etc & I'll have mine de-tyred by the end of the week.

g

24seven

I checked with the uni and they weren't so keen on me using the tyre machine as it's a bit rickety, plus it's in the bike workshop and they don't want everyone with a car coming and taking free reign of the thing, which is fair enough really. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

The 15" ones don't seem to work as well as the 16" ones. They look cheaper and a bit plain for some reason, probably because there's more metal and smaller gaps between the spokes. I can't remember who it was but there was someone on here with a cherry red p2 205 and he bought some 15" ones new I think. they didn't suit the car so well.

pug_ham

Ok, thanks for trying Guy.

I've got mine now & annoyingly even though the seller believed them to be a set, I assumed from one 2002 406 as mentioned in the ebay auction & they all had the same size 205/55-16 tyres on when I picked them up, I had the tyres removed today & they are a pair of each, one pair et20 & the other et28. :angry:

They are approx 10kg each as well.

g