• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Harrisrallying

Mi16 Or Gti6

Harrisrallying

Any advise on which conversion is best an mi16 engine or gti6 for best acceleration and power ? And wat will b needed to fit it in my 205. Cheers

jamie_1992

this really has been answered so many times just do a search and you will find all the info you need

Daviewonder

Have a search mate, you'll find out so much info as it's been covered so many times before. Even I know the answers off by heart and I've never considered either conversion :D

harryskid

Heads or tails! :lol:

GLPoomobile

Ah, now that's an easy question to answer.

Mitsubishi Evo engine :ph34r:

Some c*nt was bound to come along sooner or later and throw in an irrelevant 3rd option, so I thought I'd get that one out of the way early ;)

• Like 1

ORB

Lol, I had to stop myself ten minutes ago from posting the very same!

Baz

Stay 8v.

• Like 1

petert

Neither. S16 engine, all the benefits of both. Can't really think of any disadvantages.

• Like 2

welshpug

I can, theyre all knackered and its the same head as the mi.

petert

That's the advantage. You can change the cams easily, not worry about valve-piston clearances and the valves don't bend when a bit of hard petrol hits them.

No more knackered than GTi6, and cheap as chips to run the boring bar through.

There are two disadvantages - coils and inlet diaphragms. I throw them away, thus forgot. Fit Mi16 or GTi6 inlet and aftermarket coils.

• Like 1

Vili

That's the advantage. You can change the cams easily, not worry about valve-piston clearances and the valves don't bend when a bit of hard petrol hits them.

No more knackered than GTi6, and cheap as chips to run the boring bar through.

There are two disadvantages - coils and inlet diaphragms. I throw them away, thus forgot. Fit Mi16 or GTi6 inlet and aftermarket coils.

I have to ask. What is wrong with the original coils? Is it a performance or durability issue?

petert

They're the most unreliable thing Peugeot ever invented. When they fail, it's very hard to track down the faulty coil without an analyser. The second most unreliable thing are the vacuum pods. For those two reasons, the engines don't have a good reputation. Otherwise, they're fantastic.

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

welshpug

vac pods only unreliable due to poor mechanics leaning on them IMO!

faulty coils easy to find, its the one not giving spark!

• Like 1

petert

yes but they can be fine <3000, then break down above, only under load, making diagnosis difficult for amateurs.

• Like 2

Samson1886

GTI6 were never been selling in Malaysia. The most we got is ZX16V which is same engine as S16. Neither 306 S16 were sold here too.

When ZX16v engine blows, we used to find replacement with S16 engine imported by the scrap yard people. There are some half cuts though.

Now, a lot of owners on ZX2door converted / upgrade to GTI6. The half cuts of 306GTI6, that came in our country (from Japan / Europe) is selling like hot cakes!

I never try / venture into GTI6 in depth technically. But I find XU10j4 engine is fun to drive aggressively. It is pretty revvy. The diaphragm are prone for failure. But when it works the pulling power is awesome.

This engine is underrated somehow. IMO not many people really understand the secret power it can churn out. Our country car enthusiast typically venturing towards Japan car @ HONDA Vtec

Just for sharing....

Vili

They're the most unreliable thing Peugeot ever invented. When they fail, it's very hard to track down the faulty coil without an analyser. The second most unreliable thing are the vacuum pods. For those two reasons, the engines don't have a good reputation. Otherwise, they're fantastic.

The same coils are used in Maserati maybe that's why they don't have such a good reputation either :D .

I've always changed all four at the same time, they are not that expensive. Same goes to vacuum pods. Though nowdays I'm running my S16 with mi16 manifold, because couldn't see the advantages of variable inlet and because it is easier to fit bigger throttle to mi16 manifold.

estland

Didn't want to make another thread..as I have a similiar question

What are the performance gains in xu9j4z (DFW)? My current engine is xu9jaz (dkz). Should I stay with my 8v engine (my engine is quite healthy)? afaik it's 88 vs 108 kw and 150 vs 166 nm.

Edited by estland

Vili

I've done DKZ -> DFW conversion. The car feels a lot quicker with mi16 engine. The conversion is easily worth the money and the trouble.

The conversion is also very easy to do since you can use the DKZ engine wire loom with the DFW. Only one or two wires needs to be added. And if you drop the engine by 15 mm or so you can use the mi16 exhaust manifold.

• Like 1

petert

A 148hp DFW is definitely better than a 122hp DKZ. Make sure you build a better gearbox however. It's not very inspiring with a 1.9L 8V cwp. Installation wise, you face all the same issues as a D6C. As said above, wiring is very easy, as you only have to add one wire for the ICV and a shielded wire for the knock sensor. I normally pull these from old Mi16 looms, complete with pins.

One thing I haven't tried, is to fit a 16V chip in the 8V case. If it's not looking for the knock sensor it may not fault. If the chip just contains fuel and ignition tables there's no reason why it wouldn't work. You'd also have to set the idle speed manually, but that's not such a bad thing. It's certainly easy enough to swap chips before you do the installation.

• Like 1