• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

High Oil Pressure?

Bovien

After having a strange, intermittend rattle for some months after installing the XU9JA engine I swapped out the oil pipe (what is the exact name?) lubricating the valves from above, to another one. This was a suggestion from a Peugeot capable shop. They had a hard time figuring the problem and their best shot was that it was getting too much oil (!). So in with another pipe with less holes in and amazingly, that seemed to do the trick! Didn't expect that...

But now, it seems that the engine is running at a higher oil pressure. That kind of makes sense though. At 1000 rpm it's roughly at 3 bar, 1200 rpm is 4 bar but 6 bar is still max. Is this regular pressure or is it elevated? I would think its roughly a bar to high from idle. If so, is it anything to worry about? Any consequences?

j_turnell

I would take the standard peugeot gauge with a pinch of salt if that's what your using, get a good quality aftermarket gauge on there and see what that reads and go from there. Also worth checking the condition of your sensor loom, as the brown multi-plug creates no end of issues.

Miles

Yes ignore the gauge, On 1 of mine the gauge stop working until the oil warm as it's that high which if it was would highlight problems to the extreme of others where the guage just shows on the 2 bar segment on the gauge

Bovien

yeah, I know the gauge is a bit untrustworthy. I have messed around with the wiring and it should be all good. But it seems to work correctly (of cause, I'm not sure if it actually displays accuratly) and it is a fact that the pressure has changed after replacing the oil tube with the other one.

So what is the general concensus of a healthy oil pressure in the 1.9 8V? As mentioned, when the engine is warm I have:

3 bar @ 800 rpm

4 bar @ 1000 rpm

6 bar from 2000 and up. (could be 2500, dont remember right now)

Tom Fenton

, when the engine is warm I have:

3 bar @ 800 rpm

4 bar @ 1000 rpm

6 bar from 2000 and up. (could be 2500, dont remember right now)

No, that is what you think you have.

Unless you like to go on guesswork either fit a proper mechanical gauge to see what you really have, or stop worrying about it. High oil pressure is a good thing if anything.