• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
FireFly

Help Wiring Up Radio.

FireFly

Getting a bit bored of sitting in silence so about time I fitted my radio.

Some of the existing wires have been chopped and left so I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me what colours go where!

Wires left from 205:
White x2
Red x1

Green x1

Wires left on aftermarket plug:
Purple x2

Grey x1

Green/Teal x2

Orange x1

Blue x1

White x1

Here's picture of the wires that I have left and the wire I could match them up to:

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

Should be pretty simple right?

Edited by FireFly

glenwah

You already have something wired wrong there, the eight wires that are clumped together on the unit loom ie 2 grey 2 white 2 green 2 purple are all speaker wires, if you have hooked one of any of these up without the other you need to find the other speaker wire, as for what's left on car loom, it's time to get the test lamp/multimeter out.

• Like 1

glenwah

Also blue is power amp, if your not running one then isolate it as it goes live when stereo is on, you don't want that touching the stereo chassis.

glenwah

Also only one of the wires you have going to the stereo earth is your main earth, no way should there be 4 bundled together like you have.

FireFly

Very useful guys, thanks.

Is there a diagram of the 205 radio loom somewhere so I can match it up to the other diagram?

FireFly

Bump.

Simes

Best bet is to get hold of a multimeter.

I can't remember what the the car loom colours are what but As already mentioned the thinner wires are speaker ones.

The others are

Live

Switched live

Earth.

If you don't have a meter get yourself a bulb and test which of the lives are which.

Worst you can do is blow a fuse.

After that the speakers are straight forward all the earths are the same colour so when getting the pairs right make sure you get the right earth, otherwise they'll be out of phase and sound worse.

• Like 1

glenwah

Will be working on my car on Wednesday so will whip the unit out and make a note of wires etc and get a couple of pictures that may help.

• Like 1

glenwah

no point taking pictures as mine has been fairly well bodged by a previous owner and pictures wont make sense, well here goes for colours on the peugeot loom, this is presuming that yours is identical,

Large blue-IGN+

Large white-12v constant

Large green-Earth

small yellow-front right speaker+

small light blue-front left speaker+

small green-rear right speaker+

small red-rear left speaker+

all that should be left is four small white wires that are speaker-, to see which one goes with which speaker + just get a 1.5v battery (AA or AAA etc) and hold it on one of the speaker positive wires and dab the white wires on the other end in turn, only do it for a brief moment, you will hear a noise come from corresponding speaker, if you do then that pair of wires are matched, failure to do this will result in no sound as your speakers obviously wont be wired properly, hope this helps, ^_^

• Like 2

FireFly

no point taking pictures as mine has been fairly well bodged by a previous owner and pictures wont make sense, well here goes for colours on the peugeot loom, this is presuming that yours is identical,

Large blue-IGN+

Large white-12v constant

Large green-Earth

small yellow-front right speaker+

small light blue-front left speaker+

small green-rear right speaker+

small red-rear left speaker+

all that should be left is four small white wires that are speaker-, to see which one goes with which speaker + just get a 1.5v battery (AA or AAA etc) and hold it on one of the speaker positive wires and dab the white wires on the other end in turn, only do it for a brief moment, you will hear a noise come from corresponding speaker, if you do then that pair of wires are matched, failure to do this will result in no sound as your speakers obviously wont be wired properly, hope this helps, ^_^

Nice one, I will report back once I've had a go! :)

FireFly

Right had a look at the wiring today and stripped it back ready to rewire.

Whoever had done it last had put the negative speaker wires to the earth.

I've got a few questions that may seem silly but I've never had to wire a radio in from scratch.

1) Do I need to connect the 205 earth (large green) to an earthpoint then to the ground/earth (A8) or just connect the two wires straight up?

2) Does the 205 12v Constant (large white) go to +12V Battery (A4) or +12V Switch (A7) as its currently wired to A7. :/

3) Following from Q2 should the 205 IGN+ (large blue) go to the +12V Switch (A7)?

I also tried connecting the four white negative speaker wires one by one to the positive wire through an AA Battery with the ignition turned to, it did nothing. Is there another way to test these? Can these be connected to the earth cable like the previous person did?

Muchos kudos!

glenwah

The 205 earth is already earthed so just join the stereo earth to it, constant live and battery live are the same thing, switched live is ignition live, as for speaker wires you say you tested from a live, do you mean speaker live or power live?

• Like 1

FireFly

The 205 earth is already earthed so just join the stereo earth to it, constant live and battery live are the same thing, switched live is ignition live, as for speaker wires you say you tested from a live, do you mean speaker live or power live?

Ok thanks for clarifying that. Means even more wires are wrong lol.

I wan I tries putting the front speaker + to a battery then dabbed the speaker -'s one by one on the other end of the battery with the ignition turned too. Nothing happened.

Do I need to plug the head unit in then do it?

Cheers!!

glenwah

Nothing needs to be plugged in or turned on to test the speakers, if you have a multimeter try using that on a resistance or beep setting and do the same thing as with the battery, you should get a change in the resistance reading or a neap when you find a pair of corresponding wires, if still no luck then you either have a break in the wire on no speakers fitted, have you checked they are even there?

That should be beep not neap.

FireFly

Finally finished this today.

Theres no rear speakers so might get some, not sure if I'll bother though as its extra weight!

For some reason no matter which way round I wired the constant live and ignition live the radio always seems to stay on.

To get around this I've wired in some extra wire and ran it up to where the cigarette lighter is, you simply join them to turn it on. I've also ordered a SPDT switch off eBay so will get that sorted out as soon as it arrives as its a bit dangerous having wires hanging around!

Thanks for everyone's help, no more silence for me. :)

glenwah

It wouldn't happen to be a Sony unit would it?

FireFly

Can't remember, I've had it for donkeys years!

glenwah

On some units there is a switch on the underside that you flick over when you don't have an ignition live so the unit basically runs all the time.

FireFly

I'm putting my own switch I'm anyway so it's all good. :-)

DanteICE

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm having the same issue, as in the stereo doesn't turn off when the ignition is off?

The stereo is a Sony which comes with an adapter to change ISO plugs into the Sony plug and this wiring adapter has the ability to switch the continuous/switched power supply wires over see image:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-16-PIN-Stereo-Wiring-Loom-Wiring-Harness-LEAD-16-Pin-to-ISO-CT21SO01-/111107029554?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

and my car comes with a red connector so I have bought an adapter to change the Peugeot plug into dual ISO plugs which attach to the adapter. Now I've read this: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=84571 which at the bottom someone suggests switching the connector for the stereo power on the fuse board. So I did this and connecting it to the right side and the stereo is always on whichever way I change the Sony adapter wiring option. And connecting it to the left side and it's never on.

Frankly I'm a little stumped. Oh I did have to rewire the plug up as some idiot before me had cut all the wires, so I got hold of a second hand red connector and wired up plug based on the colours of the wires so I'd be surprised if that's the issue.

Any ideas? I know an alarm was fitted but clearly has been removed and things like the interior light doesn't work when the doors open, so some chump has been attacking my car's wiring.

Geoff