• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bjmulford

A Few More Mi16 Engine Conversion Questions

bjmulford

Hi guys, ive removed the old 1.9 8v lump and got the mi16 engine in the bay! just a few questions to clear up.

Ive inherited a few boxes of bits and dont know where anything goes, so am just winging it as best i can.

1. ive conected all the coolant hoses as they were on the 8v but there are two coolant lugs now un-connected - a 20mm and a 12mm near the coolant temp. sensor under the distributor plate. do these go anywhere specifically or do i just blank them off?

2. does the fueling go the same as on the 8v with the fuel supply to the rail on the LHS and the valve end returns to the tank?

3.does the breather pipe which goes to the cam cover on the 8v go to the cam cover on the mi16 head too?

4. The crank sensor on the 8v wasnt connected ut the engine still ran??!! is this right? the 8v flywheel is smooth with a cut out and the mi flywheel is castleated with a different cut-out, im assuming that the C.P.sensors are different and not interchangeable. if i can source the correct one i could fit it but where abouts does it connect too on the loom, (there is no socket on the existing loom for it)??!!

thanks guys, b

welshpug

have you got the MI16 loom?

bjmulford

ah, no, was told i could use the 8v loom cause its got a dizzy plate adapter is this right?

Simes

Yes, but it won't perform to its full potential on the crappy jetronic as the motronic.

Miles

You'll find loads about this, mind It will be a while back now but basically the 8v wiring is rubbish and the engine will not perform anywhere near to where it should do, along with why many done this conversion was to have a engine that drove well and never cut out or had iffy running so look for a 16v Loom and ECU

petert

Further to this, even Motronic looms are now old and brittle. If you ever have to replace a connector, you'll find the corrosion has traveled 300+mm up the wire. Faults are expensive and difficult to trace if aren't handy with a multimeter. Plus, AFM's are mostly all worn. I'd budget on a new aftermarket ECU & loom. Whilst not plug and play, the end result will be far superior.

bjmulford

yes i do want to go an aftermarket ecu route, with turbo eventually, i just need to get the engine running at the moment with what ive got, its taking up space and i need it to go under its own steam so i can move it about. Im gonna take the view that if the 8v ran without the crank sensor pluged in, so should the mi if a little underpowered (which is what the 8v always frelt like to drive anyway1). fingers crossed it fires!

S@m

FYI, the crank sensor on an 8v is for diagnostic purposes only and isn't plugged in. I am unsure of the jetronic(8v) management and the dizzy adaptor but if you did want to run it on the motronic (mi16) management then you have to use an mi16 flywheel and crank sensor.

Sam

• Like 1