• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
custard-rallye

What Gearbox

custard-rallye

What gearbox can cope with power or can I get a gearset that will cope with high power as my box died today after owning car less than 24 hours 2.1 turbo 265 Atw

custard-rallye

It has 311 lbft

custard-rallye

Will I need a fancy gearset when I spoke to pug one off ( built the car) they said I'd have to spent 3500 on a box to cope if I wanted more power

B11 BOB

306 HDI Box is your most cost effective option and it will cost you around £50 to 75 you will also need a clutch that can handle the torque

Miles

No one makes a box for this simple, You could swap to a ML box which is what would have been on there before but then you need shafts and a clutch adaptor sorting out, As said power is nothing to do with it, the torque kills them,

The BE case is not strong enough either really and when you look at aftermarket gearset's you'll see the torque rating is quite low.

I take it the old box had a Diff in it

custard-rallye

It has a paddle clutch already fitted

pug1off kit is only rated to 300 lbft if I spent that money I'd want a guarantee it would be fine

Might go for 306 box and get it rebuilt with my quaife fitted is the gearing well suited on that box?

custard-rallye

Yeah it has a quaife LSD so there isn't really a cure just stock up on gearbox's

Miles

I doubt you'd get a warranty on it, try Avanti down in Somerset, they import allot of gear stuff even thou they are Alfa People or the old Shot peening method, again it helps but it will fail somewhere along the line, Joys of Turbo Pugs I'm afraid

B11 BOB
It has a paddle clutch already fitted

pug1off kit is only rated to 300 lbft if I spent that money I'd want a guarantee it would be fine

Might go for 306 box and get it rebuilt with my quaife fitted is the gearing well suited on that box?

38, 72, 101, 135 and 200 mph in 5th at 7100 rpm based on you having 195/50/15 tyres

custard-rallye

Will it go straight on a hdi box

B11 BOB
Will it go straight on a hdi box[/quoteYes all you will need to do is alter the clutch arm from pull to push or vice versa.Its then a straightforward fit and with the power and torque you got should be ideal for you.

Miles

It's no stronger than any other box thou

matt.f

300lb ft and a quaife lsd :cry: :cry:

welshpug

306 Hdi box as mentioned will fit fine, depends what clutch mech you have no mods at all if you run a 1.9 mi clutch, swap the top selector arm and mounting stud, stick your quaife in which sorts the big diff/lh cv issue, as miles said its hardly stronger and insane gear ratios for a petrol engine

• Like 1

custard-rallye

Just spoke to pug1off was told the xsara vts is quite strong as the teeth are bigger than a gti6 for example and should last a while with my power will do until I can afford uprated parts

Anthony

Miles will probably have something to say about that.

As far as I'm aware, the later BE internals as found on Xsara VTS's and the like are actually slightly weaker if anything than the earlier BE boxes.

GTi-6 boxes are cheese like and even standard power cars can strip the teeth, seemingly usually 3rd.

If you're killing BE boxes with the torque level, you're either going to have to go down the ML route or learn to be a bit more mechanically sympathic.

custard-rallye

That's the thing I wasnt being that harsh on it maybe I was just unlucky the box has been in it for years

Miles

Yes Xsara box's use the same type of gears as the GTi6, so I would not recommend that box at all for love nor money.

The only Plus on the BE4 box is that it has is a better oil way to the end case & the end taper bearing support is stronger with some cooling fins on there, The BTCC dog boxed cars and AB seem to enlarge this bearing but I'm not convinced as it makes the area between the bearings smaller and weaker, the BTCC car's even had a metal plate to try and hold it together.

The best box with the deepest cut gears is the std 1.6 or 1.9 box along with the early Mi16 box, ignore the rest. Well the 1984 1.6 Gear sets are the deepest but pretty rare now

Edited by Miles

custard-rallye

Ok thanks for the info miles I will go for a 1.9 box

brumster

The BTCC dog boxed cars and AB seem to enlarge this bearing but I'm not convinced as it makes the area between the bearings smaller and weaker, the BTCC car's even had a metal plate to try and hold it together.

I've been running the enlarged PTS bearing in my cases ever since I moved up to the larger power - Andy's torquey 8valver used to start splitting the end casing around the standard bearing, presumably because of the end loads of the helical gears. I've never had one problem with gearboxes, and my first hybrid box that he built me is currently with him to be stripped and inspected. Now granted it hasn't had 311ft.lb put through it :) but I will report back on how it looks .

As with all these things, you look at someone who has been there, done that, proven it in competition and I'm the type of guy who doesn't like to push the cutting edge and be the next guinea pig - so I stick with what he's recommended and it's proven me well so far (touches wood). I am probably also fairly mechanically sympathetic on the gears.

I don't think even Andy would recommend it for 311ft.lb though :D

• Like 1

petert

ME/ML, 'nuff said.

custard-rallye

Who could make shafts for the ml and where would I get a diff

BlueBolt

Who could make shafts for the ml and where would I get a diff

Don't know about the shafts but Rally Design do the diff for the v6 'box!! Look on the coupe forum and see what they say about diff's...

welshpug

Who could make shafts for the ml

Anyone half decent with a welder and a lathe.