• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
custard-rallye

What Gearbox

custard-rallye

I'm assuming its just the inner Cv that needs changed and shaft cut to size?

Miles

you'll have to make do with another quaife diff I'm afraid, Shafts are dead easy as they are hollow tube

welshpug

I'm assuming its just the inner Cv that needs changed and shaft cut to size?

you can retain the 406 CV with a very small bit of trimming, or use the 306 outer CV (smaller OD than 406, same splines as 1.9 but bigger joint)

custard-rallye

ok my mate has a 406 coupe with a knackered engine may look into it and my uncle has a lathe and is a welder mount needs changed aswell?

calvinhorse

Don't know about the shafts but Rally Design do the diff for the v6 'box!! Look on the coupe forum and see what they say about diff's...

What do they say?? What do they say??

custard-rallye

I ment the mount under the battery

B11 BOB

Theres a member on this forum called Henry Yorke who has a Cti turbo I belive he runs a 405 sri box with a 1.9 gti final drive.Theres going to be lot of various veiws on which box to use makes sense to get in touch with someone who actually drives a car simular to yours and seek their advice.The choice is then down to what you think will work best otherwise you will end up getting confused.

• Like 1

Baz

It's pretty obvious who's confused here tbh...

Miles

Same gearbox mount, just swap the stud over or use a suitable mount

custard-rallye

ha yeah i read that wrong

BlueBolt

What do they say?? What do they say??

No idea at all!! Just remember there were a few poeple on there with them when I had a coupe and used the forum.

wicked

From Guernsey Hillclimb 205 Build

i know this is going to sound silly, but... there was a chap on here i think who monitored the temp of his box, and realised his box failures were down to overheating oil, he put on a remote oil cooler to the box and didn't suffer any more failures.

Worth investigating perhaps.

sorry I don't remember, but he monitored he temperature and notice it would spike under heavy load. I think he went into why the sheer strength of the oil reduced Massivly beyond a certain temperature range.. That's a typical example of my memory remembering bits but not who or when or where...

I agree and really think most boxes die because of the excessive heat build up in the box, not because of the torque only.

If the power of the engine is doubled (and used continuously), the friction losses double as well and the friction losses are converted to heat. And the heat will make the oil go out of operating range. (gearbox oil is most often just mineral oil)

The boxes of diesels have to cope with almost similar torques and don't die as often as boxes of turbo-ed petrol engines. The differences is in the revs/power level that the torques is applied. (power = revs x torque).

Next to that, you'll see that most boxes fail when driven in higher gears/on the track, where the average power is higher than in lower gears (only short peaks). So the average 'heating power' of the oil is higher and the oil doesn't get the chance to cool. If they would die of high torques only, I would expect them do fail in second gear; less teeth on primary axle and wheels struggling to get traction -> a massive bangs on the teeth/diff. And the usual gear where the diffs blow.

Elsewhere on the forum there's also stated that Mi16x4/T16 boxes live longer if you overfill them; this will improve the heat distribution from primary axle (bearings) and lubrication.

welshpug

I doubt it will be much help to Wardy given his events are pretty short, I dont think I have seen him in anything higher than 3rd apart from on a straight 1/4 mile sprint?

wicked

But continuous full throttle...

Of course keeping the gearbox oil cool won't make them indestructible and ML/ME boxes will last longer anyway, but for the regular 2.0T it could make the BE3 last longer.

welshpug

But continuous full throttle...

on an UK hillclimb, certainly not, its a lot of part throttle!

They are very different to continental hillclimbs, they don't close main roads over our decent mountains unfortunately so they have to make do with very small ones usually in private parks!

Edited by welshpug

matt.f

Anyone ever tried or heard of anyone using Drenth gearkits in BE boxes?think they do dog type kits aswell

custard-rallye

For anybody interested I stripped the box today this was the outcome

IMAG0566_zpsebb7b29c.jpg

IMAG0567_zps1e7811a8.jpg

IMAG0568_zpsd661fc5a.jpg

IMAG0565_zpsfcb23a5c.jpg