• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gingerdave

Driving A 205 T16 On The Road Magazine Article

gingerdave

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/news/general/800022877/driving-a-peugeot-205-t16-on-the-road/

"Classic Cars magazine managed to find one for a test drive on the sort of challenging lanes that formed its natural Eighties hunting ground."

Anyone likely to get their hands on an issue and give us a summary?

edit: and if a mod could change the spelling mistake in the title so i don't look like a moron that'd be great..

Edited by gingerdave

sensualt101

i have got that issue :) just one of my growing collection of mags featuring 205's

gingerdave

cool what do they say?

sensualt101

basically he borrowed a car currently for sale that has been painted to look like a works rally example but is one of the 200 road cars.

he says he was a bit underwhelmed by the performance when the turbo was off boost and the fact that the homologation cars only produced 197bhp but says when on the open road and on boost it became a different car and shows its true character.

i had to laugh when he said he pulled in to a petrol station to fill up and was really excited because of the car and expected some attention but amazingly the general public seemed unaware that a group b rally car was right next to them.

he went on to say that his opinion of the public has gone downhill because of this and that it seemed he was viewed as a boyracer in a stickered up old hot hatch and snottily treated with contempt.

in summary he says that having driven his longtime dream car that his love of the car hasnt diminished with time but that the 205t16 in roadgoing form only shows its true character when pressing on and that modern hot hatches often produce more power and that if he was to purchase this car he would look in to having the period optional "club pack" installed which was said to give 300+bhp more befiting the car.

an amusing and in some ways informative read :)

gingerdave

OK great cheers, and thanks to the mod that corrected my title typo.

TBH I wouldn't expect the general public to notice that kind of thing, although I guess when you are so excited about something you expect everyone else to share your excitement. I get the same response whenever I talk about cars at work, most biologists just aren't interested.

Baz

No problem, not sure how you got the impression that the author of the article is on here though?!

GLPoomobile

Just as I thought, he was driving the roadgoing model. So not a T16 then. Pointed out for the 2nd time this week.

Baz

The general public probably think its a Dimma or similar given the amount of people that seem to think a Dimma looks remotely like a Turbo16.

Tom Fenton

he went on to say that his opinion of the public has gone downhill because of this and that it seemed he was viewed as a boyracer in a stickered up old hot hatch and snottily treated with contempt.

I have sadly found this out on the rare occasion I've used my fathers Audi Quattro turbo on the road. As the writer says, knowing what it is it feels genuinely special to drive it about. The general public on the other hand have no idea whatsoever and as said look down on you as it's not a 60 plate TT.

axnutty

Am I missing something, but why should the general public give a dam what it is?

Andy_C

Funnily enough there was one other car in the petrol station and its occupant ignored us completely. Journalistic / poetic licence I guess.

Was still a very enjoyable day!