• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
leemundo

205 Rallye Project

leemundo

First project after any advise i can get. I have recently got myself a white 205 rallye the car is in a fair condition how i got it with minimal rust and not to bad body work. I bought the car with the intention to turn it into a track car fully stripped out with cage and gti6 under the lid. Now I've been thinking for the last few weeks if stripping a rallye and turning it in to a track car is a waist of a car getting rarer each day. Trying to decide if restoring it is a better option and just play with the engine in it? Would really appreciate your thought o this dilemma.

minimaniacwhyard

I keep the rallye as a rallye personally. So few about now. You could always buy a bad 205 to make into your toy

• Like 1

leemundo

Thats the thought I've been haveing the last few days. But still I do like the idea of continuing with the original plan. Im planning to try and make it a bit more of a different track car being a rallye. The car has came without door cards and a few other bits missing as the previous owner was going to make it a track car

leemundo

Thats the thought I've been haveing the last few days. But still I do like the idea of continuing with the original plan. Im planning to try and make it a bit more of a different track car being a rallye. The car has came without door cards and a few other bits missing as the previous owner was going to make it a track car

minimaniacwhyard

i know its gonna be a little different track car. to me though it seems like a shame. im not saying you shouldnt do it though. ive only been on here a month or so but the guys on here are some of the best with technical questions. so if you do plan on doing this, this is the right forum you are on. i wish you luck watever you decide to do though.

:)

leemundo

Cheers mate. Hopefully will decide pretty quick as want to get on with it then i can't start making this topic more interesting with car info and pictures

leemundo

Right finaly decided Im not putting a gti 6 in it or a roll cage and will be doing my best to restore it as much as i can. The New dilemma is though if to keep the original engine or use my mates old s2 106 rallye engine what from what i can tell is a straight swap just a bit quicker standard. Not too sure does anyone have info on the ease of this conversion?

calvinhorse

It would detract from it's originality but it's the right direction.. A 1.3 s1 Rallye would be better but the inlet manifold fouls iirc

welshpug

Not as if its a real rallye is it.

• Like 1

chipstick

Do what YOU want to do while you can. Going down the route you feel you want to will make you happier with the vehicle over all.

I'd personally much rather do with a car what I want today, rather than in years down the line wish I had 'when I had the chance' - when the values have gone up and it becomes unjustifiable.

leemundo

Im new 205's and this is the first car I've done so really value all you help and opinions. I think keeping the original engine would be best but there is only so far you can take the engine till you want more power and need to change it. Wouldn't consider changing the engine but I've got a gti6 my mate wants and he's got a s2 ralley so it wouldn't cost me for the engine. First job is though putting the brakes back to standard. When i work out how to out photos up i will.

danboo89

I would stick with the original. but as said its your car pal.

leemundo

Bad news today been let down on a barn we was supposed to be keeping the car in and using as a garage so not much work can really be done till another is secured. Hopefully as were surrounded by farms another can be find soon. Really want to get stared on this as soon as possible so have acquired a spare rear beam to look at rebuilding while waiting for barn. Is it a good idea to get it sandblasted and painted?

allye

here is my opinion;

P1010011.jpg

IMG_20120227_155944.jpg

P1010012.jpg

Absolutely do it, as much as I hate to admit it the UK Rallye is nothing special, just a a tarted up 205 GR, I really liked them as they are just super rare. Christ I've just bought a goodwood with a V6 in it!

Just don't cage it and ruin the shell, the original iron blocks are rock solid but a bit pants, best part is the carb. GTI6 doesn't weigh massively more. I still dream of a XS or Rallye with a screaming tuned ali block engine though - being offered my old, tidy XS shell doesn't help!

(apologies for the awful excuse to post those photos.)

Edited by allye
  • Like 3

leemundo

Allye thats one nice example of a rallye you've got only hope with time I'll bring mine to somewhere near that standard only time will tell. Had a look into putting a how cam and a few other bit to the standard engine looking like ill do that as it keeps the car more standard but adds a little bit more hp. I know it won't be setting records round the track but will still be good fun to drive

Not as if its a real rallye is it.

In what sence do you mean?

welshpug

Its a gr with some stickers and a paltry 75 bhp, solid discs and floppy suspension, not the proper arched 100 bhp tu24 version with 1.6 gti running gear, or the tamer german 105 bhp 1.9 with the same body and running gear.

leemundo

I do see what you mean but the rareness of a rallye really appeals to me just got to make the most of a limp wristed version of a rallye.

Really stripping to put photos up Im using my phone with the photos on any help please?

rallyeash

Go in hard with it! Have a look at my 205 Rallye thread under track projects

leemundo

Your project and car look awesome can't see id ever have the skill or wallet to be near that

JakeMathias

If your going to change the engine then just go with a GTI6 lump as the originality of the Rallye will have gone with original engine ! Ali's 205 Rallye was a stunning example of what you could do. I've got Ali's old XS GTI6 and its great fun ! I'm now re-shelling it into a mint GTI shell and putting it on the track with cams, carbs, head work, roll cage etc etc. I'll be posting some pictures of it soon so keep an eye out.

leemundo

If your going to change the engine then just go with a GTI6 lump as the originality of the Rallye will have gone with original engine ! Ali's 205 Rallye was a stunning example of what you could do.

Exactly what I've now been thinking and as its the originality of the rallye what appeals to.me look.like.it will be the original engine tuned up when funds become available.

JakeMathias

But even then it won't be original as the engine will have been modified.. Gti6 lump all the way ; )

welshpug

I'd stick a TU2J2 in there, on bodies of course, as a modern homage to the original true Rallye.

leemundo

I'd stick a TU2J2 in there, on bodies of course, as a modern homage to the original true Rallye.

Thats were my chain of thought has taken me and Im happy with it so now's the job if finding someone to creap some more hp out of the engine while i get the car ready for it

Lowercase

i have an S2 engine in my rallye, its an easy swap and drives great, more than enough torque for such a light car.

I was in the same mind about the originality of the engine etc, but one cant ignore what a pain in the ass it is to use a carbed car as a daily, and as the UK spec rallye is a bit of a wet hanky, i thought bugger it! so as the cars a bit of a s*itter, just make it what i thought it 'should' have been.

toss to the originality of a crap car mate, just do what you want with it, personally to drive a car with ruddy stickers on it it needs to have some poke to it just to stop you looking like a muppet!

• Like 1