• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bjmulford

More Mi16 Belt Questions

bjmulford

thanks for the advice last night guys, ive managed to get the old tensioners loosend off but one of the bolts is mullered so will need changing, so got new belt on today only to find theres no marks on the cam sprockets, so i have no idea where to put the timing marks on the belt. Also all the manuals say position the arrows in the direction of travel. I'm assuming tha the engine runs clockwise (as you stand looking at the timing gear end LHS of belt goes up RHS goes down) could somebody please confirm as i didnt take the engine apart and am just re-assembling numerous boxes of bits!!

cheers B.

Tom Fenton

Ignore the lines on the belt, the Mi16 engine can be locked totally one in each cam sprocket and one in the crank pulley, with that done put the belt on, then you need to tension using both tensioners to try and keep the cam locating pins central in each hole, easier said than done. You are right that rotation is clockwise as you look at the crank pulley.

Anthony

Buy replacement bolts for the tensioners - the new ones are a conventional 13mm hex, rather than the originals that round off very easily.

As Tom says though - ignore the lines and just pin the crank and cam pulleys up using the timing holes.

bjmulford

excellent, cheers guys