• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bondyshambles

Any Bad Points To A 206Gti....or Get Another 205Gti ?

bondyshambles

Hi....My Alfa 156 is now dead and i already own a 205 gti. I was thinking of getting a 206gti. I know that they do the 138bhp and the 180 bhp. Will the 206 gti in the 138bhp form, give me a thrill or does it have to be the 180bhp, and what are the main problems that i should be looking out for if a purchase one ?

Cheers in advance.

Redtop

Well it would surprise you how much rust is a problem on the 206's. I will have a look for my pics of my 206 GT that I rebuilt this year. Needed 2 sills, pockets made and the exhaust bracket part on the boot floor replaced.

Also look out for rippled bonnets at the front edge where people press them shut. The panels are made from recycled steel, so a magnet sticks kind of to the panels, but you'd nearly think its aluminium as its all very thin and light.

If you go for a 2002>, they are multiplexed wiring and can be abit more expensive to fix, as the com 2000 unit can go in them (steering wheel wiper/indicator stalk unit)
Check the seats go forward and back for access to the rear and also that the whole front suspension isn't hanging in it as the bottom arms and drop links are a consumable in them. Inner steering joints also go in the higher mileage cars.

864XX.jpg

860XX.jpg

Edited by Redtop

madspikes

The wife had a 206 GTi 138bhp thing for a while. The GTI was ok, you could make quite rapid progress if spanked, but quite numb compared to a 205. Ride not great, did bang and crash along, even compared to the 205, but very smooth power delivery.

Mad.

Tom Fenton

In addition to the above, the rear beams also collapse, even on low mileage cars.

A customer of mine has had 2 138's, to be honest hateful things that seemed to need drop links and wishbones every year. Thankfully he crashed them both and has now bought a Golf TDI.

• Like 1

bondyshambles

Thanks for the input guys....you have scared the hell out of me !!!

Kezzer30

Also a big problem with the 206 is its not a 205 hahahahhahahah

I know ive helped

Your welcome

:)

Redtop
In addition to the above, the rear beams also collapse, even on low mileage cars.

A customer of mine has had 2 138's, to be honest hateful things that seemed to need drop links and wishbones every year. Thankfully he crashed them both and has now bought a Golf TDI.

Good point Tom, forgot about the normal beam issues. Also the beams on these cars, they are the opposite to a 205 in that the bearings are in the trailing arms and the harder pins are in the beam. These pit and wear badly and are a lot more expensive to fix than the 205's. you can buy re manufactured units, but also beware of second hand units as they seem to command a high price and you don't know what your buying until you strip them.

toodumbtosmile

They've also got the most uncomfortable seating position i've come across.

laldy875

what about a 106 gti/rallye?

ablister

Thanks for the input guys....you have scared the hell out of me !!!

Well you did ask for the bad points and you were given them ;) Remember, every car has bad points...

I personally like the 206 gti and would buy one (at the right price ;))

Tom Fenton

They certainly are very cheap for what you get, but as per above the suspension is not durable at all.

bondyshambles

Given me good food for thought and like you say they are cheap.

what about a 106 gti/rallye?

I am a fat f.....

mmcgtk

Its a 206,thats as bad of a point you need, hairdressers car!!

GLPoomobile

They're butt ugly, look like a slug, and totally gay. How's that for a mature critique? ;)

sensualt101

from what i have read it would put me off buying one.

not only that a friend had a 180 and got shot of it with constant problems in 4 months ownership so although i havent owned one i have driven one and couldnt say i recommend them :(

johniban

not bad cars at all, every car has its faults, the only major problems is the rear axle

bondyshambles

Sorry guys I bought one anyway...it aint as bad as i thought to be honest...but no 205 obviously.

bothpugs_zps60081872.jpg

• Like 2

calvinhorse

I dont know why we bother!!

In fairness I saw a 206 gti do the 'ring, bridge to gantry, with a fairly novice driver, in standard form bar passenger seats removed in 8m45s which I impressive really

That was a 180 tho not 138.. :P