• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
will_lliw

Miami Blue Gti With Family History.

will_lliw

]After many hours of searching on the internet over months i found my dads old miami blue 205 gti 1.9, he sold the car 12 years ago, and to say the least she was in a bad way, there was rust everywhere the paint had faded. After looking at all the rust i decided a reshell was the only way for me. I hunted down a shell that had no rust anywhere but the only downside being it was green. I attacked the new shell with sandpaper and 3 months later she is almost ready for the outside to be sprayed. I decided not to cut corners and sprayed the underneath and inside the car in 2 pac miami blue, its as shiny underneath as it will be on the outside! This saturday she is going away for the outside of the car to be sprayed in a booth so it wont be long till i will be throwing the sanding disks and breaking out the spanners, i will try and upload a few photos of the outcome so far.

post-21994-0-19938700-1357238039_thumb.jpg

post-21994-0-28279700-1357238117_thumb.jpg

post-21994-0-83901500-1357238195_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

sensualt101

very nice i look forward to seeing how you progress with this. :)

how bad was the original shell? was it past saving by someone? do you have any pics?

will_lliw

No its not passed it at all it has just cost less to buy a mint shell. ill get some pcitures for tonight

eddie bullit

That looks really good! Why hunt for your old car and then reshell it though? I thought you'd want to save the original shell.

Looking forward to updates on this as it's looking like its shaping up to be a nice car.

Good luck!

Edd

will_lliw

The original shell didnt have a straight panel on it, there was dings and dents everywhere and rot in all the normal places. At first i priced up the front panels wings and some other bits. mean time on ebay there was a poorly advertised 205 shell not far from home, i bought the shell for peanuts and when i got home i realised how good it actually was, so to save hours of sweat and blood it made sence to reshell. ill dig out more photos tonight off the project so far! :D

johniban

That looks really good! Why hunt for your old car and then reshell it though? I thought you'd want to save the original shell.

Looking forward to updates on this as it's looking like its shaping up to be a nice car.

Good luck!

Edd

Im with this guy, im currently restoring my dads old 1.9 gti, in miami blue.

the rust is crazy its everywhere, but i dont want to reshell it as it will be a diffent car, difrent chassis number diffrent reg number,

looks good tho

• Like 1

NFS

funnily enough I was going to comment as say about your car John and the lengths you will have to go through to keep the “same” car that was your dads. I don’t see the point in you searching for month to only reshell it anyway but each to their own and I've got to say you have done a very good job there, some close up pics of the car would be nice.

eddie bullit

Are you going to be able to transfer the reg no. over? At least then it will be your old man's in spirit. Worth a thought if its older then your new shell.

Edd.

Not having a dig by the way..you've done a smashing job on that shell. Will look a treat when finished.

will_lliw

At the time buying my dads car to "do up" seems a good idea, a re spray was in need and a bloody good clean inside, when i seen the rust and how much work was needed to make sure everything lines up at the end of the day it wasnt worth the work, the new shell i bought didnt have a dent in it or a rust patch, my dads car was dented full of rust and needed hours of attention on every panel, a reshell was the best option. At the end of the day im going to build one very straight very clean 205 with a unwelded shell, something that is becoming rare.

johniban

yeah thats fair, still would of rather seen you restor your dads :) are you keeping his shell? i would keep it and just fix it up now and again when you got the time

Juttie205

title to me is misleading as you have reshelled it so it now has no family history.

• Like 1

Dendle89

Looks mint mate

will_lliw

ill change the title if it makes you sleep better, most of people are so picky on here over nothing, but thanks to the people with positive comments, im 19 cant weld on f*** all money. if i could weld and had a nice big workshop with hours to work on it then yes i would, but as i cant i have to reshell. besides it only a tin shell just like everyone elses.

• Like 1

Juttie205

I myself am doing a project and i have never welded before and many people commented in my thread about reshelling the car but I felt as it was a genuine dimma I wanted to keep it that way so find it strange you brought a car that was once your dads then reshelled it?. I belive you would have been better of buying on that didnt need any work I like a good restoration and yours does look good just found title misleading thats all.

Daviewonder

Can I suggest-

I had a Miami Blue Gti With Family History but it was too rusty and I can't weld so I reshelled it so now there's less history.

Looks like a lovely job has been done on the engine bay, looking forward to seeing the rest. What year was it? Was it a limited edition one?

will_lliw

f*** this, i came on here to get help and show my work but every f***er on here just wonts to moan and tell you you doing everything wrong.

cybernck

I don't think that comment is justified. Simply compare a number of good and "bad" comments/posts.

I for one am hoping to get my Miami Blue shell looking like that in the near future.

And that attitude won't get you (m)any friends on here.

• Like 1

Juttie205

I have not in anyway criticised the work you have carried out on the new shell you have and from the pictures looks like a good job and was only voicing my opinion on what you was saying about it being a family car and you have reshelled it did not mean to offend. I wish you all the best with your project sadly im a purist and prefer to see shells saved than replaced but im sure it will look stunning once complete.

This forum is the best around for information on the 205 and not everyones opinions are going to be what you want to hear like I said people commented on my thread about reshelling, didnt get to me I stuck to what I wanted to do.

will_lliw

After a busy few weekends the car is now fully painted, a final sand and a check over for dents the car was ready to go for paint.

post-21994-0-71817300-1358195564_thumb.jpg

post-21994-0-53298300-1358195573_thumb.jpg

post-21994-0-30191200-1358195591_thumb.jpg

post-21994-0-30486500-1358195604_thumb.jpg

post-21994-0-10662400-1358195613_thumb.jpg

will_lliw

Seems ages ago the car was on a spit and in a complete mess!

post-21994-0-72019800-1358195808_thumb.jpg

post-21994-0-02517500-1358195819_thumb.jpg

eddie bullit

Looks great! Another one saved..well done.

By the way people's opinions on here are always constructive I've found. From my experience it's the most honest forum around. I don't think anyones having a go. We are all chuffed your'e saving another iconic little french hedge botherer :D

Edd

• Like 1

Juttie205

do you have any pics where you attached the spit on the rear

johniban

know one is having a go at you or moaning in anyway, people just like to see an old rusty 205 that most people would send to the scrapyard see the light of day again.

im one of those people, as im trying to get my dads back to shiny usable condition again, people are here to give advise and comment on your project, thats why you have a project thread right? for people to see what your doing an possibly help you along the way.

Im on many forums and this seems to be the best so far, not full of 16 year olds interested in big exhausts, speakers and stickers that think they know everything. People will give you advise along the way :)

Your new shell is looking top notch tho, are you doing the painting or sending it off somewhere?

NFS

Hi, Looking good, what year car is yours? also was the rear screen left in? cheers