• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy Mack

Driving Lamps Dont Work

Guest Andy Mack

hello,

I just fixed and put on my driving lamps, but they dont seem to work at all. I have tryed them on full beam, full beam with the fog light on, flashing everything really. The connecters all look good and i have new bulbs, i have looked for any shorted fuses but they are all ok.

Anyone got any ideas?????

Cheers

Andy Mack

Wurzel

All I can say is that if both lights are not working there is a common fault. You may have already figured this out but it does make finding the problem a little easier.

With the light off, when you use the 'flash' switch on the steering column stalks, do you hear a clicking of relays??

It could be confused with the main/dip beam relay for the headlamps so next thing is to remove the driving lamp fuse from the fuse board. Have someone outside with head in the engine bay, headlamps on full beam and and then gently refit the fuse. If you or your mucker outside can hear a relay clicking this will narrow the fault down a little further.

Report back with the findings and we'll go from there.

Guest Andy Mack

ok i cant hear any relay click when i have full beam on and put the fuse in and out. Where is the relay to change it??

Guest wes

the green ones near the expansion tank- think theres three of them.

Guest Andy Mack

ok there were 2 green things(i assume the relays) swiched them over to see if 1 was not working, but the headlights still flashed and the driving lamp doesnt.

Are the driving lamps in series? ie both need to be hooked up for them to work??

Anyone got any other suggestions??

Wurzel

No the lamps aren't in series although they do take their power from the same contact on the relay.

From in the car you should be able to hear the driving relay clicking away nicely from in the glove compartment on the fuse board. It is the relay on the left hand side (green in my case).

No clicking means that the relay isn't operating which in turn means it is either getting no power or the earth is at fault.

There is a direct battery feed through the fuse board onto the column switch and then onto the relay, no fuse.

You will be better off with a multimeter if you can beg borrow or steal one.

Try that and get back to us

Nick

Edited by Big Nick

Wurzel

Just thought, you can 'borrow' a relay from one of the other positions on the fuse board. The green ones are the same and can only be fitted one way.

Guest doogz

Is this an old GTI? Mines an e plate and the relay was in a plastic box under the battery, also it's powered directly (unfused) from the alternator, might be worth having a look.. sorted out my probs when i replaced this relay.

Wurzel
it's powered directly (unfused) from the alternator

That is a fairly good point actually. There is a main 'live' cable coming from the posotive on the battery up to the alternator (the alternator charges the battery using the cable). On the same contact (according to Haynes) the live feed for driving lamps comes from this to the relay contacts. When the relay is made, the power flows through the contacts to the lamps. When the engine is off and the alternator is not charging/producing power, the feed comes from the battery. When the engine is running, the feed comes from the alternator.

If you don't have an operating relay though then it will be something else (again according to Haynes)

Guest Andy Mack

woo hoo! got it to work guys! thanks for all your help!!!! :)

Wurzel

Don't keep us in suspense :)

What was the fault?????

cybernck

o/t but i always tend to forget what bulbs do driving lights use - was it H3 or H4?

Wurzel

H3 my friend ;)

Guest Andy Mack

if i tell you, you will throw rotten fruit at me ;)

Wurzel

Go on, tell!!

PM me if you feel embarrassed, I won't tell ;)

It doesn't matter either way, it is for later reference if people do a search.

Guest Andy Mack

ok i'll tell. It was just a dodgy connection between the wire that runs from the driving lamp and the one at the top with all the other lights. When i clicked it into place they didnt work, but when i just pushed them together they worked fine. i feel so ashamed for asking for help!!! ;)

Sign in to follow this