• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmcgtk

Idle Problems

mmcgtk

If been having idle problems with my 1.6 gti, when i got it ,it idled at 2000rpm, when you blipped the accelerator it would drop down to 1000rpm and bounce back,i adjusted the idle to around 1000rpm,but when blipped,it would cut out

I checked for vaccum leaks,but theres no obvious leaks(sprayed with water out of a window cleaner bottle)

Simes

Try spaying with something more combustible.

The issues you mention you have are quite common place.

There are many archived threads that will help you.

Supplementary air device, breathers etc

mmcgtk

thanks i'll try those searchs

• Like 1

pugdamo

If there are no air leaks then could be supplemantary air device (SAD) stuck open,a good test is to clamp off one of the pipes going to or from it and see if the idle speed drops to a normal rpm

mmcgtk

Ive had a read of that early on,im going to check it out tomorrow,is it generally a chuck in the bin part,or can it be repaired?

pug_ham

If there are no air leaks then could be supplemantary air device (SAD) stuck open,a good test is to clamp off one of the pipes going to or from it and see if the idle speed drops to a normal rpm

You don't need to clamp anything, just squashing the SAD hose to the inlet pipe between the AFM & TB is enough to see if the SAD is stuck open & your idle speed drops down.

Ive had a read of that early on,im going to check it out tomorrow,is it generally a chuck in the bin part,or can it be repaired?

The SAD can benefit from a clean out but if they aren't closing I've found it is more due to wiring & they aren't getting the feed needed to close them.

g

mmcgtk

just had a look at it,the pipes of the SAD are not connected up,also my friend has his one in my garage atm,(changing wheel bearing) and on the front of the dizzy theres an electrical connection,there none on mine,his is an 89 mines a 90, his has a standard intake system,which the sad pipes seem to disapear at the gbox

my gti has had the stock intake ditched for a cone induction filter setup, where exactly does the sad pipes connect to,there was only one on my sad,should there be two?

pug_ham

just had a look at it,the pipes of the SAD are not connected up,also my friend has his one in my garage atm,(changing wheel bearing) and on the front of the dizzy theres an electrical connection,there none on mine,his is an 89 mines a 90, his has a standard intake system,which the sad pipes seem to disapear at the gbox

my gti has had the stock intake ditched for a cone induction filter setup, where exactly does the sad pipes connect to,there was only one on my sad,should there be two?

The dizzy should have a plug in the front side of it as you look at it, where are the coil & ignition module on your car as the lead is slightly less obvious on the inlet mounted coil models.

induct1-2.jpg

The SAD pipe should attach to the induction shortener above to the lower spigot, it should be straight through where the ol breather spigot has a smaller hole in the middle where the breather from the oil filler cap attaches.

g