• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gaz832

Get The Mi Started Before The New Year.

gaz832

basically mi wont start , going to have a bash at it tommorrow. it cranks , sparks, and gets fuel. now im no genious with a multimeter so need basic guide on what to check in order if possible.

parts i have to change are coil , plugs , knock sensor and iginition amp.

not long had a fuel and ecu relay and spark plug leads aswell.

any advise apreciated.

hcmini1989

Whats the history on it ? did it cut out etc or just wouldnt start.First thing i would do if you have fuel and spark is check the plugs what condition there in?.Whilst there out maybe do a compression check.Then i would possibly fit new plugs (long story my old mi wouldnt start i checked everything because it had a spark and fuel but wouldnt go in the end it turned out to be a set of plugs because my mi was overfueling it killed them in less than 10 miles) .If it doesnt fire after the above checks out i.e good compression and new plugs.Then just check the timing is ok make sure the belt has`nt jumped .

What managment is it running ? 8v with a dizzy adapter or 16v? .

If the above checks out maybe a duff fuel presseure reg?.Try clamping the return pipe then cranking to see if makes any diffrence or it could be a weak fuel pump/

Hope this helps

Edited by hcmini1989

gaz832

the car cut out on me and never started again, i did at times get a right strong fuel smell in the cabin. the car has proper mi16 management. bx motor 405 loom and ecu. it was put in and serviced at sos motorsport and worked brilliant. guys done a great job. ran it for 1yr then it started to cause me bother.

hcmini1989

Go through the checks above mate.I dont think an AFM would stop it from starting( i might be wrong) but ive always been lead to belive that they would still run ,Im sure someone with more knowledge will confirm about the afm.Theres not really alot else that would stop it from going .

Do the above checks and post back up how you got on .

Maybe check if the injectors are pulsing (take the plug of the injectors and make sure there is a switching live there) Now you can use a multimeter for this or just a simple test light

do you know how to do this?.I can explain if you want ?..

gaz832

ill try the plugs again, if not that then i will go through it all. cheers.

luggy

the car cut out on me and never started again, i did at times get a right strong fuel smell in the cabin. the car has proper mi16 management. bx motor 405 loom and ecu. it was put in and serviced at sos motorsport and worked brilliant. guys done a great job. ran it for 1yr then it started to cause me bother.

The donor I bought for my 205 mi had a similar fault, guy I bought it off said it just cut out no warning, went through the usual plugs,leads, dizzy cap, rotor, coil, ignition amp, both relays and fuses, crank sensor and the knock sensor finally replacing the ecu car fired up straight away.

Hope you get it resolved soon :)

• Like 1