• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
omri617

Reverse Light Issue , Help Needed.

omri617

Hi guys ,

There was a problem with the white plug of the reverse .

Disconnected the plug and checked :

Brown wire gets 12 V constant with switch on.

The other one gets nothing (also no earth)

Is this how is should be?

How do i fix this problem?

Can't determine what's wrong.

Thanks..

omri617

i heard there is a switch for reverse in the gear area?!

welshpug

if there is no earth then the bulb has blown or there is a dirty contact between the switch and earth somewhere

white plug is the switch.

omri617

The switch you mean the one fitted on the gearbox?

post-19435-0-48392000-1356810300_thumb.jpg

welshpug

yup.

omri617

Which bulb you mean?

welshpug

think about it...

I can only mean one type of bulb.

omri617

:D

I wanted to hear it from you :wub:

What's your name by the way Welshpug? You help me a lot , I appreciate it , i mean it.

ORB

Omri, in your picture - "what's this?"

It's merely a cap to cover the end if the selector shaft. Nothing exciting!

allye
What's your name by the way Welshpug?

Some wierd sounding Welsh name that doesn't make sense. :P

dcc

Its amazing you can strip a gearbox but you cant test a simple circuit...

omri617

electronics is not my strong side actually. -_-

omri617

Checked the reverse bulb , and it's fine it is not damaged

Still no reverse light. I just don't understand , why there is constant 12v in the brown plug comes from the loom and no earth in the white plug?

How does the 'reverse system ' electronics work??

pugdamo

If the bulb is fine then you have a broken wire or bad earth.The permanent live to the switch is normal,as you select reverse it closes the switch and completes the circuit,so it can only be a fault from the switch back,you will need to get testing really

Edited by pugdamo

omri617

The constant 12 V is not from the switch on the gearbox , it's from the wire that connects to it . the wire itself that comes from the loom..

pugdamo

That is right,the switch is literally just a contact,you will have ignition live to one wire and the other will go back to the bulb then to earth,so if you have the 12v to the switch and the switch is working and the bulb is ok it has to be a broken wire or earth fault.

How have you checked the earth,continuity to battery negative?

a real quick check is to bridge the terminals in the connector for the reverse switch with a split pin or something put ignition on then check the lights,but if you have checked the earth side properly and you have no earth the light wont work

Hope that helps

omri617

How have you checked the earth,continuity to battery negative?

a real quick check is to bridge the terminals in the connector for the reverse switch with a split pin or something put ignition on then check the lights,but if you have checked the earth side properly and you have no earth the light wont work

Thanks firstly.

I connected the other wire to the battery - also checked with the car earth. no lights . anyway , i think i will take it to someone

For this reason , and another reason is that car is blowing some fuses.. :(

pug_ham

When are you trying to get the reversing light to work?

AFAIK they only come on with the ignition switch to the second position as if the engine is running or ready to be started.

Is your car a phase 1 or phase 2?

Have you checked for voltage at the plug for the reverse light & not just the gearbox switch?

To check the rest of the circuit, bridge the connector at the gearbox with the ignition on & do you have a working light then?

If your car is a phase 2 version with the reverse light in the lower valance, the terminals in the plug get corroded & stop them from working so you need to check the plug to the unit in the rear valance.

g

omri617

When are you trying to get the reversing light to work?

AFAIK they only come on with the ignition switch to the second position as if the engine is running or ready to be started.

With 2nd position .

Is your car a phase 1 or phase 2?

Phase 2

Have you checked for voltage at the plug for the reverse light & not just the gearbox switch?

Checked the continuity at the gearbox switch and it seems to work , and to return 12V on the second wire . but light still doesn't show. the problem is , how can i trace the wires without stripping my car!

To check the rest of the circuit, bridge the connector at the gearbox with the ignition on & do you have a working light then?

Nope.

If your car is a phase 2 version with the reverse light in the lower valance, the terminals in the plug get corroded & stop them from working so you need to check the plug to the unit in the rear valance.

g

Checked , will have to trace the wire and see where it has split/cut or anything.

Anyway , where does the rear light and all the cluster get it's earth from?

omri617

Well guys , problem fixed . the connector was indeed having a contact. cleaned , Wd40ed , and all working again.

Thanks

pug_ham

Anyway , where does the rear light and all the cluster get it's earth from?

The phase 2 reversing light is earthed through the lefthand rear light unit & this is also where the feed comes from via the red two pin plug.

Remove your l/h rear light & check for voltage at the pins on the light unit when you select reverse, this will further isolate what part of the loom isn't passing the current through but it can be just the reversing light unit its self, if you put a seperate 12v & earth to the light, does it work?

g.

omri617

If worked. Turned to be A connection problem in the light itself.

Thanks Graham