• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dexter1002

306 Hdi Timing Holes

dexter1002

hi guys in the middle of changing the fuel pump on my 306 hdi, could someone please tell me where abouts the timing holes are in the head ? are they at the bottom ?

thanks

ablister

there's a timing hole on the cam pulley and one on the flywheel. The one on the head is pretty easy to see but the one on the flywheel isn't! It's behind the starter at front of block, you need a special tool that has a couple of bends in it to get it to fit in the hole! Just a std pin similar to the camshaft locking pin but it needs to be shaped to get it into position. The pump itself isn't timed so doesn't need locked (well it is meant to be locked as it's balanced but wouldn't bother ;))

dexter1002

Thanks alot guys thats a big help much appreciated!

how could i get to the flywheel locking hole then it sounds quite difficult ?

welshpug

You use the tool, its number 3 on that PDF, its just behind the starter, you can remove the starter if you want.

ablister

As above, that tool manages to clear things that are in the way. You can see the hole so it's not too difficult.

Personally i've never taken the starter out, by the time you've taken the starter out, you'll have found the hole.

dexter1002

thanks guys, ive found all the timing holes and the belt is off,

but there is one nut on the bottom of the fuel pump has is a pain in the arse.

thats all for tonight anyway getting stressed lol

thanks for everyones help :)

Paul_13

You don't need a tool to lock the flywheel off, a suitable sized Allen key does the job. Obviously with the starter removed.

• Like 1

RossD

To be honest, a long 6mm Allen key can be used without removing the starter - save a bit of hassle!

welshpug

indeed, the correct tool is a long cranked 8mm rod tp avoid having to remove stuff.