• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Karl

Gti 6 Wont Start After Being Stood

Karl

hi all its been a while haha

erm just a quick one guys (hopefully) i have been doing some work on my car over the last four months (whilst the weather has being satisfactory)

changing gearbox and a few other little bits after finally getting my box fitted it wont start <_< this is probably due to it not been started whilst its been wet / frosty but i have checked other things incase;

-there is a switched 12v

-there is a spark

-the flywheel sensor is working fine

-double relay is fine

basically what is happening is im turning the key, it cranks, does a little revvy sound (asif trying to start) thn repeat.

i have fallttened the batter a few times and recharged it and im still at square1 any tips or know how from anyone to solve my problem?? many thanks in advance guys ^_^

dcc

I once started a GTI6 engine which hadn't been run for nearly 12 months. First turn of the key.

I suggest you look at the following:

does your fuel pump prime/work

do you have fuel

do you have spark

is everything plugged in correctly

are your fuel lines the correct way round

have you got a dodgy starter motor

is this 'little revvy' sound the engine turning over or is it your starter motor not engaging, or solenoid?

Have you replaced the earths on the gearbox?

have you plugged in the cam sensor (although this wont stop it starting)

Id suggest you've cocked up somewhere if it worked prior to box change - Id even suggest you haven't tightened up the crank sensor or plugged it in incorrectly.

If youre sure all of the above is ok - then :unsure:

Anthony

Is the fuel pump priming / running when the engine is cranking over?

If you have spark then chances are the engine management side of things is working, and in my experience, cranking over with an occasional half-hearted attempt to catch is often a sign of insufficient fuel pressure.

Karl

yes the fuel pump is priming and everything else is ok there is fuel etc the revvy sound it does is coming from the engine its like its starting thn decides not too asif its almost there but not quite

Karl

Is the fuel pump priming / running when the engine is cranking over?

If you have spark then chances are the engine management side of things is working, and in my experience, cranking over with an occasional half-hearted attempt to catch is often a sign of insufficient fuel pressure.

so do i need a new fuel pump then ??

Anthony

Unlikely - if the pump runs and is pressuring the fuel rail then it should all be fine from that side of things.

omri617

1 question : when ignition is set on second position , just before the one that cranks up the car , should be the fuel pump delivering any fuel ?

Paul_13

As Dcc says have you got fuel in it?

Karl

omri id think it would just be 'powering up' not delivering fuel

As Dcc says have you got fuel in it?

yes mate put 5 litres in yeterday

dcc

it doesnt just 'power up' it only cuts power when crank iirc.

Karl

right guys a little progress ive just been out again after recharging battery it sort of ran for about 10 seconds thn cut out it keeps trying to start but doesnt its like when it does sort of run its dead week and feeble lol if ya get me

Carbs4me

I had a similar issue.. with a 1.9 i had.

Was the fuel pump relay it was been a bit dodgy after been stood.

It Would chuck fuel in when cranking soon as you stop cranking the fuel pump stop working, and it would run very rough for a couple of seconds "slowly dieing" or if you touched the thottle it would cut out.

Try cranking it with the fuel line off the rail.

firstly try knocking all your relys as its been cranked if you can reach them of course.

pug_ham

Five litres isn't much but it should allow it to run longer than 10 seconds.

If you have one, try a different fuel pump relay, they are a known to fail & just because its priming doesn't mean its staying latched to keep the pump running & the length of time it does run for is using up the rail pressure.

g

Karl

will give it a try either later or tommorrow as it slinging it down but i will check the fuel pump relay (is this the big double relay) and see what happens

pug_ham

will give it a try either later or tommorrow as it slinging it down but i will check the fuel pump relay (is this the big double relay) and see what happens

Yes, big brown or black (usually) relay not too far from the ecu.

g

Paul_13

Yes it's the big double relay. Unplug the ecu and relay a few times, might have corrosionon the pins.

I had a weird issue on mine where one cylinder wouldn't fire, unplugged and plugged it in a few times and it was fine .

Ryanstdt had a problem on his where it would crank and crank catching slightly, then would do a massive backfire and would start fine.

Changed relay and it cured it

Edited by Paul_13

Karl

ok thanks guys ill have a fiddle with the relay and see if i can get anywhere

just incase does anyone have a spare double relay incase mine is kerplunked

Karl

right unplucked ecu and d-relay a few times tried again same thing a really weak attemp to start i have no idea what is wrong all connections and everything seem fine

Carbs4me

flick the top off the rely, you will see the arm move, should give you a better idea what the rely is doing or if it is failing, when your amp goes its usually when its hot.

Like you said might just be a case of cold whether and having poor/damp connections.

you could always take a hair dryer and fry the connections out

dcc

Pretty sure it doesnt have an amp.

I would unplug fuelpump and chuck a new set of plugs in then hook her up on a set of jump leads

Miles

Ignition drivers are built into the ECU

Karl

right ok gonna ava look at the plugs give em a clean n thn try again if it doesnt happen im stumpped as to what it could be

pug_ham

just incase does anyone have a spare double relay incase mine is kerplunked

I've a couple of tested working double injection relays but with the time of year it could be a while until the post would get ti to you.

£10 delivered if you're interested.

g

Karl

well ive got it running but it will only start when i give it full throttle then i have had to change the idle to very hight to keep it running any ideas guys please dont want to drive it untill its running properly :wacko: