• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Xu7 Non A/c, Pas Mount/belt Issues

pugpete1108

as some may know im building a xu7 blocked gti6 headed engine and stupidly thought the xu10 non a/c belt/ engine mount setup i used on the iron block would be ok for use on the xu7 alloy block.......

well most already know this? (ive just found out) that the xu10 mount does not bolt on to the xu7 block :angry: leaving me with the wtf do i do now look on my face.

i was running a rallye non a/c tensioner and belt setup before on the xu10, but there is no where to bolt the two rallye tensioner pulleys to on the xu7 mounts (three piece type). and no way of adjusting tension either

the auto tensioner from the xu7 wont work as it was running a/c so what the hell do i do now?

basically i was just wondering if there are any bolt-on alternatives or will i need to get creative and make something up?

cheers

pete

Tom Fenton

Surely there will be XU7 engines out there fitted to cars which did not have the A/C?

Anthony

There is - thus duplicating the setup from one of those seems the easiest way?

The non-AC XU7 16v setup uses a manual tensioner, although one quite different from the XU10 non-AC one and instead more like some of the XUD ones.

welshpug

Its much like the s16 arrangement, the top bracket was originally the same part.

pugpete1108

I'll have a little delve about down the scrappy then.

Bloody pain in the arse really

welshpug

naah, not when you buy a donor engine that has it all still bolted on it ;)

• Like 1

pugpete1108

Yeah shame mine had poxy air conditioning that never worked in the first place

pug_ham

Have a look around & find a custom belt size so you can keep what you have but run without the a/c pump.

That's what I've done on my 306 hdi & I'm only using the sprung tensioner which is at perfect tension.

What are you running, PAS & alternator?

That's all I've got now, I'll check my belt length tomorrow but there are lots of different lengths that will do.

iirc its about 1153mm for the layout on the right below.

post-71-0-49972900-1355861473_thumb.png

g

pugpete1108

i was kind of looking at it earlier and thought about the right hand setup youve got graham.

was just a little worried about how much contact both the pas and alt pulleys have, will that be enough you think?

i think the belt ive got is around that size

calvinhorse

How do you tension it? Does the alt or ps move?

I think I'll be doing Sarahs this way :)

pugpete1108

Think I'm going to go with this:

533914F1-F071-4523-836E-5AE4B3396E28-590

Using the rallye adjuster just modified a little

Edited by pugpete1108

pug_ham

i was kind of looking at it earlier and thought about the right hand setup youve got graham.

was just a little worried about how much contact both the pas and alt pulleys have, will that be enough you think?

Its plenty on my 306, no slip or squealing.

I think you could put an additional roller in the layout you've pictured pete, using the adjuster slot bolt with a plain or eccentric roller there if required or even with an even shorter belt, without the rallye style tensioner.

As standard on the hdi the belt runs very close between the pas & alt but obviously when tensioned is fine.

g

R5-al
Its plenty on my 306, no slip or squealing. I think you could put an additional roller in the layout you've pictured pete, using the adjuster slot bolt with a plain or eccentric roller there if required or even with an even shorter belt, without the rallye style tensioner. As standard on the hdi the belt runs very close between the pas & alt but obviously when tensioned is fine. g
As said I've done the same belt run but used the standard wheel (where the rally one is) and but a cam belt tension wheel at the bottom there's a pre drilled hole on the bracket. Either way you'll have to trim the cam belt cover at the top

pugpete1108

All I've done is make up a spacer plate between the tensioner and the mount, welded a stud for securing the tensioner once tightened and put a stud on the top to allow me to pivot the tensioner.
138C7F74-84B9-4C25-824E-366A86146481-370
Just need to cut a bracket which bolts to the upper hole to allow the stud to go through and tighten it. bit of tidying up and some paint.

Job jobbed :)

Edited by pugpete1108

pug_ham

Agreed, nicely done.

My hdi's belt number is 6PK1148 btw for future reference if anyone wanted to try a different shorter belt.

g