• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Headgasket Gone - Any Tips

shalmaneser

Hi All,

my 16v conversion has been reliable as you like for the last two years but a few weeks ago my luck ran out.

After some misfires when starting and a slightly higher running temperature I bit the bullet and used an exhaust gas sniffer on the header tanks. Result - combustion gasses in the coolant.

Aaaaaaanyway, I was wondering if anyone had any top tips when it comes to the job.

I'm a bit in of a quandry over whether or not to get the head skimmed - it's never overheated and is running perfectly (other than the misfire on starting) so I'm tempted to put a straight edge on the bugger and get the feeler gauges out. Has anyone had any success with this method or and I just going to regret it?

Getting the head skimmed and rebuilt is a lot of cash I'd like to avoid spending, but only if I can do so any have a reliable fix. I also know that tolerances are tight with valves and pistons so I'm anxious not to end up with any bent valves.

Also any tips for preparation of the block when it comes to reassembly?

And can anyone recommend any head places down south (winchester/southampton way) that are good for skimming rebuilding?

Thanks.

Adam.

Anthony

Get the head checked and skimmed as required as a matter of course - false economy not to frankly, as it's not particularly expensive in the grand scheme of things (I think the last head I had done was £50 to be checked, skimmed and chemically cleaned).

Miles is probably the best person to suggest someone down that way, as I know he had a headache finding someone decent after the last place he used closed.

kyepan

i used Paul Gardias for my head he did a great job, he's a bit of a treck from you being in whitney oxfordshire.

But i would recommend him.

He also recut my liner seats, faced my block, and did 3 angle seats for my head

DamirGTI

Always get the aluminium head skimmed when ever disassembling it ... it doesn't necessary "need" to be overheated to became uneven surface , the head bolt torque force effect the surface as well on ally heads (twist/bend the base a little bit .. especially if the OE torque specs are a bit higher and with stretch bolt setup) ..

Sometimes you can get away with it , but once you end up doing the same thing twice for the sake of the cost of skimming there will be a lot of swearing words !

Damir B)

Baz

Nick @ AMS isn't too far i wouldn't have thought.

It's only going to need a very small clean/flattening skim, wouldn't worry about it.

ALWAYS skim the head IMO, flase economy not to and i know some, even supposedly repuatble people would disagree.

welshpug

Agreed, especially with age now adding corrosion into the mix, though please make sure they know the maximum amount recommended to remove from these heads, and do use a repair gasket if the max is taken.

ablister

Perfect timing to get headgasket problems :(

Get a good quality headgasket, timing belt kit, water pump etc; basically the best you can afford, you won't be wasting any money fitting good parts!

shalmaneser

Yeah that's the response I was expecting TBH! Will get it Skimmed and obviously use a repair gasket, can't wait to be out in the cold skinning my knuckles again!