• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gman

Rumble From Newly Fitted 309 Shafts

Gman

Hi all,

I have recently, or rather my Paul_13 has, fitted 309 bones and shafts to my 205 but it seems that the shafts are rumbling when pressing on with a anything more than half a turn of the wheel.

I don't think its relevant, but my current spec is 205 gti6, running VTS gearbox. New Bilstein group N shocks, new drop links, new wishbone bushes, top mounts rubbers and bearings.

The shafts and bones are second hand, and the shafts appeared fine when inspected off the car. Stupidly I didn't check them with my old shafts to make sure they really were 309 shafts, but assuming they are, is the rumble noise a simple sign that they are knackered, or can this sometimes be a trait of running the 309 setup?

Many thanks in advance

Graham

dcc

have you changed the diff? or have you used the correct inner shaft CV?

Gman

Yes, I'm using the old 205 diff so that should do away with the need to run a different inner shaft cup

welshpug

I would check the wishbones, shoud not have lattice type surface if correct 309 type, then check compressed length.

Also check transmission mounting under the battery, if its fully offset it may cause issues.

Paul_13

The wishbones are definitely 309 WP

Gman does it feel like the engine is bring shunted over when it's rumbling. Can have a look on Saturday if you want.

Sorry we should of taken it for a test drive but it was late

Gman

The wishbones are definitely 309 WP Gman does it feel like the engine is bring shunted over when it's rumbling. Can have a look on Saturday if you want. Sorry we should of taken it for a test drive but it was late

Not really mate, although I know we tried to offset the block and box over a bit when we had the box off.

I need to pick up that valance from the other Paul in Tilhurst, so maybe I could pop over afterwards. I'll have to check with him, but maybe Sat morning?

Thanks

welshpug

Need to check the compressed length of the shaft then.

calvinhorse

Driveshaft nuts tight?

Are the shafts new?

Edit- I've had cheap driveshafts in the past that have knocked from new :S

Edited by calvinhorse

kyepan

i've also had recon shafts that knocked from new... gearstick wobbled under load

dcc

the outer CV on some recon shafts are not correct, they've got a little taper. not all of them but some of them which ive had.

Paul_13

Yes the hub nuts are tight thanks

Alastairh

the outer CV on some recon shafts are not correct, they've got a little taper. not all of them but some of them which ive had.

I had this with my 106 xsi, causes play in the wheel bearing. Intermediate bearing hockey club bolts loose?

Al