• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
c_robinson

[Rally_Prep] 205 Rallycar Nut And Bolt Rebuild

c_robinson

right.

So in an attempt to get the drivers seat lower and further in to the tunnel to centralise it with the steering wheel we looked into the various options. Before i knew it i'd cut a great big hole in the floor and ordered some 1.5mm thick zintec sheet.

I'll let the pics do the explaining!

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

floor3.jpg

floor4.jpg

floor6.jpg

floor7.jpg

annoyingly my welder has stopped feeding wire it just 'clicks' from the feed motor so i'll get it sorted in the morning.

Lots more body work repairs to do but it's bloody nice to be 'making' the thing rather than cutting holes or rubbing down underseal!

Cheers

Charlie

Edited by c_robinson

opticaltrigger

Nice project Charlie.I know that feeling when the welder gives out.

I like that move you have done with the seat mounting.Great mate.

All the best

O.T.

c_robinson

thanks for the kind comments OT, it's been a lot of work but had to be done and we felt this was the safest way of doing it, along with being the most cosmetically pleasing way. It'll also be used to mount the switch panel between the 2 seats housing all the switches, fuses and relays.

No idea why the welder has given up, I was only meant to be in the 'shop for an hour tonight so after 4 hours welding it packed up i stripped it quickly and couldn't see anything obvious so will take it to my local welding supplies in the morning and get them to cast their knowledgeable eye over it, and hope it's not going to cost too much to sort!

Regards

Charlie

opticaltrigger

I did chuckle when I saw the picture of the hole in your floor,reminded me of when we did the hole for the fuel tank.There seems to come this moment when you realise that you and your great idea are now firmly commited.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Gona be a nice one this.

All the best

O.T.

c_robinson

had to modify a 205 tu mount to fit but it'll only be used to place the engine in the bay and align it then we'll make a steel version ala Colin's 16v mount

some pics from weeks gone by:

grindingmount.jpg

mounted-1.jpg

manifold modified to clear subframe came up cheaper than what it'd cost to make my own
fannimold.jpg

offered on various sites free to collector, no one came, it went!
scrapping.jpg

oh and a little kit car naughtiness!
polo.jpg

Thats the pics upto todays date 14/1/2013.

Most of the stuff needed is now bought or being made, the only thing we're not doing ourselves is the gearbox which is being done by Andy @ GwynneSpeed. Wiring will be fun, as we're using the 16v engine loom, but modifying it, then no other pug/oe wiring, making entirely our own loom so could well be some decent head scratching going on!

Cheers
Charlie

c_robinson

I'm still soldering on with some fairly major cutting of rusty panels and replacing with 1.5mm zintec sheet

n/s footwell

nshole.jpg

n/s from wheelarch

nshole2.jpg

o/s footwell

oshole.jpg

made some blanking plates for the inlet and exhaust manifolds and cleaned up the block, this is after 20 mins with a wire brush in the drill, the joys of a 7,000 mile old engine

block1.jpg

block2.jpg

The main man Morph who's helping me, driving 45 mins each way 2/3 times a week to give a hand, all for the love of fabricating parts and knowing that we're attempting to make the 205 better than peugeot ever did!

morphwelding.jpg

Snow day today so no more progress :(

Edited by c_robinson

Graz

Are they homemade Venier cam pulley's?

welshpug

no, they are standard tu5j4 cam pulleys.

c_robinson

got the dash mocked up tonight in a new panel and then transfered from cardboard to some 1mm steel, however i'm going to be remaking the mounting panel using alluminium with a carbon vinyl wrap.

dashmade1.jpg

dashmade2.jpg

The box to house the main switches is here, just need to source the switches and wire from our local wiring loom chap who does omex and previously did prodrive looms.

All i'm using from the OE wiring is the 106 gti engine loom and ecu, which will then be connected into our own loom, which we are (somewhat scarily) going to be making ourselves.

Cheers

Charlie

Edited by c_robinson

c_robinson

some pics that went missing these last 2 weeks!

Cardboard Aided Design ie: CAD

CAD.jpg

Morph got on with the rear arch after he cut out a lot of rusty sh*t steel! Cardboard Aided Manufacture: CAM... this is it tacked in place, then chopped out to be welded fully on the bench internally!

TACKEDREARTUB.jpg

The mrs was allowed to choose the colour of and paint the footrest!

footrest.jpg

enough snow to have fun in:

workshopinsnow.jpg

the mrs learning how to slide a car about!

Brenda.jpg

c_robinson

dash99percent.jpg
That's the digi dash almost finished, just need to make up some 'wings' from the base plate to meet the dash board surround to enclose it all, then will wrap it but vinyl choices are proving hard...some saying to flock it, some saying carbon vinyl but a suggestion has been made of walnut vinyl ala the pugsport gearknobs!

c_robinson

fair amount more going on with this but again the biggest restriction being finances!

I'll let the pics do the talking:

uprighthandbrake.jpg

uprighthandbrake2.jpg

uprighthandbrake3.jpg

dashdone.jpg

Fed up of axel stands i knocked a frame up out of the scrap pile and an old gate. It's been braced further

frame.jpg

tipped onto it's side by 3 people and lead on some tyres, i'll remove the jack handle and replace with a bolted at both ends support

side.jpg

my better half cleaning up around the seam welding with the grinder and wire wheel!
popsgrinding.jpg

etch primer arrived....
primeredbulkheadseam.jpg

primeredbay.jpg

The boxed in exhaust tunnel prior to final cleaning and paint. The exhaust on the car has no center box so clearance shalln't be an issue
exhaust-1.jpg

Cheers
Charlie

matt.f

Nice,your a lucky bloke to have a mrs thats even interested in rallying!

Mine and most others i know dont want to know lol

c_robinson

I am very lucky you're right, she'll be navving and driving once it's built.

Things she's done on the car:

splash of rattle can painting

lots of grinding

spot of welding on the exhaust tunnel box

lots of removing parts from the shell

lots of tea making and filling the gas heater with diesel! lol

• Like 1

Vili

You one very lucky man! My Mrs won't come inside my work shop unless it's absolutely necessary. Because it smells bad (oil and especially the gearbox oil). Also she won't drive the 205. The good thing is that she thinks it's ok to spend silly money on an ancient car that only I enjoy driving with.

Edited by Vili

c_robinson

she's mad for motorsport, although growing up with a mother and step father who both raced help, and then working with me at the rallyschool in cirencester will have no doubt also helped.

it'll be good to get it done and get out in it as i've been promising her for 2 years we'll do a rally together, she was going to sit with me last april when the engine let go pre event so has been waiting a fair while!

brumster

Looking good! I take it you're taking this opportunity to put all those lovely little brackets, plates and fittings that you've discovered you need over the years - the triangle holder, the threaded bar for the jack, the channels for fuel or brake pipes, the handbrake support, the extinguisher mounting plate, the earth points, the extra bumper supports, the tank guard mounts, the re-enforced jacking points (or sill stands?), the holes for the trip sensor/lambda, the brackets for the proflex cannisters, or some other little aspect that you've had to modify on the original car over the years and could do so much nicer a job if you'd been able to do it from scratch on an empty shell... this is what I found really useful when rebuilding mine a few years back.

Obviously all just examples above, not saying they're applicable to you, but just thinking in case I jog your memory of one you've forgotten!

c_robinson

Don't know how you mean?!

All the holes in the shell apart from pedal box, steering column and fuel pump covers are being filled and then we'll make our own, should only be 1 for brake lines in front bulkhead, 2 in rear for lines, 1 for wiring, 2 for extinguishers, 1 for battery lead.

All the brackets you mention are sat safely on the shelf with some new items being made, impact gun holder etc.

To be honest I wish I had started this rebuild with a Bare un rallied shell, even a rusty one!!

brumster

Oh, sorry, yes - I forgot - you're just refreshing the existing shell aren't you :blush: sorry, my bad, not paying attention at the back of class :P !

Mind you, I see your point, considering the work going into this it's practically a new build not a rebuild - might as well have plumped for a new shell :D. Mind you, if you're confident this one is good where it needs to be, no need to waste it.

c_robinson

This shell is strong, and the only rusty bits have been replaced properly so should be even stronger :)

BDA-it

Some cracking working there, love the enigine hoist on the first page!

c_robinson

cheers Ashley, all gone slow due to work and not being able to get to the unit as often as i'd like.