• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aarontrophy

205 Gti Cosworth

aarontrophy

Hi guys I've been having a think as I can get a 4x4 cossie for cheap been in a crash, still drives but looks a mess :)

When I was at pugfest this year I see a red 205 that was converted and I was so jealous.

I've got a new garage now with loads space so I'm thinking of having a go, my best friend is a pro welder been doing it 20 years + and I have access to a jig and most garage equipment, i don't want it to have the dimma kit I want standard looking :)

I can get the shafts prop shortened that's not a issue just wondered If anyone has any ideas on this mental project as i want to start :)

yippeekayay

my mate ken has about 4,000 hrs in his dimma cosworth 205, would he do it again. Nope would be his instant answer... But his is a spaceframe chassis and he is very picky.... get the cossie to someone wanting to do an rs200 kit.... pm me if the cossie is for sale....??

MiniGibbo

4000 hours... Christ :o

Won't be an easy task and one most would give up on before even really starting.

Do it :D

jamie_1992

First thing I would do Is buy a base model 205 strip it down to bare shell get your cossie and strip out all the running gear then set about building a space frame in the 205 but you would need to do lots of workings out to make sure all is in line last thing you want is to do all that work and it crabs down the road

Baz

Why spaceframe it? It's been done before, much simpler.

Simplified; remove the shell from the sierra floorpan, attach the 205 shell & re-fit everything. You'll need a wide-arch kit etc.

Obviously it's not as simple as that sounds etc etc, but you can make it as hard as you want to.

Edited by Baz

Anthony

I would ask yourself what you're looking to achieve and what you want the end result to be.

Personally, whilst impressive in terms of achievement and engineering, I don't really see the point - after all, if I wanted a car that drives like an Cossie, I would buy an Cossie and save myself a hell of a lot of time, effort and money.

• Like 2

aarontrophy

Thanks for the replys guys I will have a think about it im going to sell my 205 Rallye soon, I fancy a challenge and I've got the time to do it.

Don't want a wide arch kit really can't I just shorten everything to match the 205 width ?

cybernck

Anthony,

Though your point is perfectly valid, I guess it all comes down to being different (though this very combination has been done

a few times already) and doing something challenging, as the achievement of an idea can be quite satisfying and rewarding.

But to answer your question, someone may want to have characteristics of one car, coupled with looks and/or "feel" of another,

for instance Cossie performance with 205 looks. I know I'd fancy that, as I love 205's. Having said that, I'd prefer a nice Cossie

in this case :rolleyes:.

omega

well i think like you mate and i would love a cossie 205 but its sure going to be a lot of work but if you have the time and skills i wish you well,and will watch with envy!

• Like 1

aarontrophy

I will keep you all posted:)

Henry Yorke

I personally like something different so if you fancy creating something then go for it. However make sure you have a plan and a budget before you start as a lot of people don't and run out of money.

The cheapest way of doing it is as Baz said. That way you can run all the suspension pick ups too and have less fabrication. The subframes etc are wider and would need a kit. To keep standard width, you would need to shorten subframes etc.

Have a look at this link (ST Performance) and then have a look at your bank balance!

ORB

Wrong wrong wrong.

Cossie = Ford therefore buy an XR2

ablister

Wrong wrong wrong.

Cossie = Ford therefore buy an XR2

no it's not.

what do you suggest for a project instead? Another gti6 conversion *yawn*

• Like 3

jamie_1992

if you need some insperation have a look at this

http://www.peugeot-klub.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4095

the guy who built it lives round the corner from me and really knows his stuff he may be willing to give some info on it

this is his company web site

http://www.automotivemachineservices.co.uk/peugeot-206-cosworth.htm

• Like 1

laldy875

I would ask yourself what you're looking to achieve and what you want the end result to be.

Personally, whilst impressive in terms of achievement and engineering, I don't really see the point - after all, if I wanted a car that drives like an Cossie, I would buy an Cossie and save myself a hell of a lot of time, effort and money.

You've got to admit this is pretty cool, no? (even though it's not a 205)

Must have cost a few bob

• Like 1

Baz

Pretty sure Nick is actually a member on here?!

ORB

"no it's not.

what do you suggest for a project instead? Another gti6 conversion *yawn*"

Sorry, just my view on it. I would buy a Cossie rather than make one.

You could go MI16x4 running gear with a supercharged XU10J4RS for a little more OE?

Just a thought, I respect whatever you chose and think it'll be cool non the less!

jamie_1992

I did notice lol but no idea what you wrote

Batfink

You could go MI16x4 running gear with a supercharged XU10J4RS for a little more OE?

Just a thought, I respect whatever you chose and think it'll be cool non the less!

But then it would be a bit s*it :D It would require a lot of work simply to make it cope with the stresses of the high power conversion.

The Cossie is a well developed platform for aftermarket parts and is far more capable with off the shelf parts.

• Like 2

Batfink

Why spaceframe it? It's been done before, much simpler.

Simplified; remove the shell from the sierra floorpan, attach the 205 shell & re-fit everything. You'll need a wide-arch kit etc.

Obviously it's not as simple as that sounds etc etc, but you can make it as hard as you want to.

Spaceframing is a silly amount of work and really will not achieve anything other than make it a drawn out and expensive build. I speak from experience on that one! Theres also a risk of ending up with something a bit cack. I'll use our 309 rallycross car as an example. The torsional stiffness is not really that great considering what it is. The original spaceframe and cage when made in the 90s was not the best designed. We are actually considering the possibility of ripping the whole lot out and starting from scratch. Personally I'd buy another 309 and make a Mk2 version but theres a lot of history in this car so my brother will not do that. The floorplan method is usually the best for 99% of people outside racing circles.

pug_ham

if you need some insperation have a look at this

http://www.peugeot-klub.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4095

the guy who built it lives round the corner from me and really knows his stuff he may be willing to give some info on it

this is his company web site

http://www.automotivemachineservices.co.uk/peugeot-206-cosworth.htm

I saw this at Pugfest a few years ago, I think Adam (maxi) had something to do with it.

Didn't AMS used to be QEP?

g

Baz

Yes, that was Nick's who was the machinist at QEP & is now AMS.