• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Thomson

Best Standard Exhaust?

Rob Thomson

Hello chaps,

It's about time I dusted off my 1992 1.6 and got her back on the road, it's been hibernating in the garage for a fairly ridicuous three years now.

One of its issues is a horrible exhaust rattle that starts when it's warmed up and is apparent between 2-4k rpm. The car's also down on power, and I suspect the two might be related, i.e. one of the baffles has moved and is restricting flow.

Anyway, is it still possible to get a decent OE-spec exhaust? I want the centre baffle in the down-pipe and (if I end up replacing the whole thing) a standard looking tailpipe.

Cheers, Rob.

sensualt101

Hello chaps,

It's about time I dusted off my 1992 1.6 and got her back on the road, it's been hibernating in the garage for a fairly ridicuous three years now.

One of its issues is a horrible exhaust rattle that starts when it's warmed up and is apparent between 2-4k rpm. The car's also down on power, and I suspect the two might be related, i.e. one of the baffles has moved and is restricting flow.

Anyway, is it still possible to get a decent OE-spec exhaust? I want the centre baffle in the down-pipe and (if I end up replacing the whole thing) a standard looking tailpipe.

Cheers, Rob.

i believe member cRaig bought a standard system from peugeot themselves so you could ask him?

Edited by sensualt101

Rob Thomson

I thought Peugeot had stopped supplying them but I'll check on Servicebox.

Cheers.

welshpug

Does sound like it may be the downpipe splitter separating and blocking a little, if it hasn't gone too far you could get it welded back up, I'd drop it off and have a look before buying anything.

Rob Thomson

I will have a look before I buy another but good to be prepared!

Are there any decent pattern ones?

omega

as it sounds like a keeper treat it to a stainless never have to worry again then.

1 FAT PUG

arnt bosal supposed to be good for standard exhausts.?

Alan77

I recently replaced a Bosal middle and back box with a Klarius system. The Klarius exhaust is much quieter at 3000-4000 revs in 5th.

pug_ham

Decent Replacement Standard Exhaust System

g

Baz

as it sounds like a keeper treat it to a stainless never have to worry again then.

This really isn't true. Stainless cracks very easily.

Rob Thomson

I did search... honest. Thanks, that's a really useful thread.

Yep, I'd much rather have a standard system.

Anthony

Plus whilst it might not rust out, that doesn't stop other exhaust killing issues - baffles breaking down / coming loose in particular seems to be a favourite.

Indeed, besides the original mid-pipe on my 306, I can't think of the last time when I had to replace an exhaust because it had rusted through as opposed to replacing it for some other reason. Off the top of my head I've had loose/noisy baffles, fatigue cracking, cracked welds, split flange from impact damage, and a split seperator in the downpipe on 205's that I've worked on in the past few years... but not a rotten system.

Certainly enough to make me seriously question the "stainless exhaust for life" theory.

I recently replaced a Bosal middle and back box with a Klarius system. The Klarius exhaust is much quieter at 3000-4000 revs in 5th.

The question is whether that's a function of the different design/manufacturers, or simply because one was new and the other (presumably) old.

Certainly at one point I had three identical backboxes from the same manufacturer (can't remember who now) and all three sounded very different. One sounded about normal for a standard system, one droned considerably at motorway speed, and the other quiet hollow and raspy (reminding me in some ways of a PTS Group N). Now, that's either a factor of age and varying degrees of soot and baffle/packing degradation, or very dubious manufacturing tolerances, but either way in my mind it was enough to render any comparisons between systems near meaningless unless they're both new and on the same car.

Edited by Anthony

Anthony

What the hell happened there? :unsure:

lemmingzappa

What the hell happened there? :unsure:

Did you accidentally uncheck the BBCode Mode button?

cRaig

I know it was expensive, but I am really pleased with the ECIA exhaust I got from pug, it sounds really nice, from memory it sounds alot nicer than the Bosal system it used to have, Is less droney and generally sounds more pleasant. (still has the same bosal back box)

Craig

Edited by cRaig

Rob Thomson

Thanks Craig, I'm very tempted...

matt.f

My Walker is spot on

Rob Thomson

My Walker is spot on

Where did you get it, Matt?

welshpug

Last walker i fitted came from ecp.

matt.f

Where did you get it, Matt?

Was put on when i had the engine work done at Larton Engine Developments

omega

Plus whilst it might not rust out, that doesn't stop other exhaust killing issues - baffles breaking down / coming loose in particular seems to be a favourite.

these are all valid points but a good system comes with a lifetime warranty so will get fixed and repaired for you,plus you can get it tuned to the sound you want.

Baz

Ohh, you mean like a Magnex that came with a lifetime warranty... :rolleyes:

bondo

I got a klarius two part system for the standard 1990 1.6 GTi (no cat) from bypartsby for £126 delivered. It fits fine and sounds OEM. It doesn't have the split downpipe but I have not noticed any difference in performance (but that is comparing it to a rusted old system that was on the car from new).

pug_ham

I've got a phase 2 walker system on my 1.6 GTI & its fine imo.

Its not new by any means but is lasting well, has the correct downpipe split, fits properly & sounds good.

No booming at any speed but a nice raspish & oem sound, from what I can remember about the last time I had a 205 GTI with an oem exhaust.

g