• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
c_robinson

205 Gti: Fitting 106 Tu5J4. Engine Mounts

c_robinson

Wondering if anyone can shed light on this...

I'm fitting a tu5j4 (106 gti) lump into my 205 gti stage rally car mated to a be4r box. I've got 205 gti engine mounts and 106 gti mounts, neither will fit.

I see that the 205 rallye mounts fit the rallye shell but believe that they won't fit the 205 gti shell mounts.

I'm on about the top engine mount under ecu on drivers side.

Any advice on which route to look at. Could someone with a tu5j4 in a 205 post some detailed pics of their mounts (be it in an xs or rallye) to give me some idea's. An idea i've had is to get a rallye or xs shell and cut the mount from the chassis leg and weld it to my 205 gti to allow me to run rallye mount.

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Cheers

Charlie

Zacky-94

that's only the case for early XY/TU shells,

wont be a problem if you're going XU to TU

I Read this on this site not long ago Hope it helps

Also im pritty sure the rear lower engine mount will be In a diffrent position on your gti subframe to the tu5j4 engine

Edited by Zacky-94

johnnyboy666

you'll need the xs type mount, and probably need to attack it with a grinder to get clearance for the inlet

as above its only the early xs's with a different mounting point, so anything after 89 and you're all good as far as I know

c_robinson

thanks for that John. Do you mean the mount on the shell (ie not the removable part)?

MiniGibbo

I have a tu top arm off a 8v tu if that'll help.?

309jazzpanda

Does anyone not make a direct fit mount by now? This is what puts me Off putting the 16v in my gtx something doesn't feel right grinding an engine mount and weakening it

Edited by 309jazzpanda

welshpug

pretty sure Colin Satchell has done a steel one.

MikeM

Welshpug is correct - Colin Satchell has made steel ones previously. I have one fitted to my Xs - see the link below for a picture of it fitted to the car. I am not sure if he still does them, but he may be worth a shot!

www.flickr.com/photos/61763927@N07/5856768939/in/photostream

Edited by MikeM

309jazzpanda

Is he on here, or anyone have a contact number?

welshpug

Yep, Eeyore :)

309jazzpanda

Cheers man

c_robinson

Mike could you post another link as that seems not to be working.

cheers

charlie

c_robinson

right so i've sorted this here's my findings:

the 205 xs or rallye arm will fit the top mount under the ecu with some fairly aggresive grinding and some delicate trimming of the cam covers (Thanks to Sandy for the advise on this.

I'll be running a be4r berlingo box (much much stronger than ma's) so the be4r mount under the battery tray will take a standard 205 gti 1600 rubber, although the pin that bolts through the rubber may need moving (there are 2 threads in the be4r casing to move the pin)

The rear mount will be a rose jointed item between the engine/gearbox and subframe.

the top mount under the ecu i will use to align everything in the bay, i'll then hold the engine steady using jacks, straps, an engine hoist and engine steady. I'll then remove the 205 xs/rallye engine mounting arm and proceed to make my own steel mount direct to the shell nearer the strut top leaving me able to cut away the original mounting point behind the o/s headlight. Pics of this will go up on my progress thread in the coming weeks/months

Cheers to everyone that contributed to this

Charlie