• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lahondal

1.6 Gti Too Much Compression?

lahondal

Hi!

I´m having some issues with the new 1.6 GTi on bike carbs. It have:

-405 SRi flat pistons.

-Skimmed head, 300 degree catcams, vernier pulley.

-1.6 GTi 105cv Dizzy, ducellier ignition amp, the large unit (i dont like it, need to replace with an original one).

-Zx9R carbs.

First, the engine dont want to start, its like it have too much compression or like the battery is dead (althought is starting with jumper cables), for example. Once started it run enough smoothly (have to tune).

The ignition is 10º on RETARD, and I can´t solve it with the dizzy, i can´t turn more the dizzy to get advance, only get 0 degrees, no more. Can be the dizzy or the module? Its so strange.....

Cheers, David.

DamirGTI

You really need a SA management to control the spark .. or at least custom recurved dizzy for engine in that spec.

Till then it'll not work , neither perform full power potential , and you're at high risk of damaging the engine running it on std. dizzy setup .

Also 98 RON fuel is must as a minimum on high compression ratio engines .

Damir B)

lahondal

Thanks Damirgti. I know the best option is a SA ignition, in the past i have fitted a MJ in a 1.9 an go really sweet. But, why the dizzy give me a 10 deg retard timing? I supose the vernier pulley vary timing a bit, but....its so much...

DamirGTI

1. recheck the camshaft timing

2. check the air-fuel mixture with an WB sensor

3. get the dizzy recurved to engine spec.

For the dizzy recurving , write down on a piece of paper all the engine specs , car make etc. , pack the dizzy with the written spec. notes and send the parcel to this firm :

http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

Specify that you want just - recurving job , based on engine specs ..

Damir B)

lahondal

Oh thanks! You know if its expensive? If it will cost me 120 pounds I will go for megajolt for sure.

The cam its on its timing, checked with a vernier dial/clock. I check it on catcams timing and on stock timing, it doesn´t matter, the engine dont want to start anyway.

Well, i´ll post news soon.

welshpug

Might as well go megajolt if you have used before with success

lahondal

Problem is not the MJ, problem is the money.

The dizzy was recovered by me some months ago, I had to repair the ignition lead which go from dizzy to module. Maybe I have inverted the wires of the hall sensor and this is why the timing is so retarded...can be?

lahondal

Finally I just have purchased a new megajolt, and I hope can forget problems...

lahondal

Well, i still having problems.

Starting issue has gone, definitively, the ignition system was trying to starting the engine backwards....now with megajolt it spins well.

Just fitted the megajolt, I took some time to calibrate the TPS sensor (5min aprox), with the +12v on, during which time the fuel pump was sending fuel to carbs. I turned the key and the engine starts automatically....WOW...i´m surprised how the MJ did so vast improvement....but...

One day later, I´m going sooo happy to garage for place the wiring loom in a good place, and hold it. I did it, and tried to start the engine....dont start...

I have spark (in my opinion maybe a bit poor spark), but the engine dont want to start. I check the spark plugs, and 2 of them were leaking like these (they have 3 min of running time...) and the ceramic had play if i move it with my finger. They have black carbon in this zone too.

PlugLeaking.jpg

Now im going to buy 4 new sparkplugs and try, but im suspecting that the carbs angle is not the best, and the float bowl are not filling well....here a pic:

33calxy.jpg

As you see, the carbs are a bit too much flat, and maybe the bowl are not filling, the engine likes to start with pulverized fuel on the throats...

What do you think? This engine is driving me crazy, I have a problem, and then other problem, and then.......

Edited by lahondal

omega

i would say you getting to much fuel to he carbs[wont help with no air flters] also it looks like those inlets are diffrent lengths.

lahondal

Well the car is up and running...but the gearbox is so long, i need a 5.06 cwp or similar. It do aprox 60mph in 2º at 7500rpm...

Finally we changed the full ignition, fitted a megajolt, adjusted the float bowl level, and thats all. We blocked off the air bleed holes and seems to run better. Ignition set at 31degree max, need to set it to 34, and try...

Also need to see why its so difficult start the engine, when its cold. I need to spray some fuel on the throats to fire up, even with the choke on. Then it starts as a treat...

Action starts on 1:00

I bet it haves 130bhp aprox, what do you think?

Cheers, David.

Edited by lahondal