• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dee205

Mi16 Not Starting

dee205

Have a bit of an issue with a car I'm in the middle of detailing.

405 Mi14x4 1.9

I've had it over a week and it's only been moved in and out of my garage and started every day without any bother. It fired up first turn of the key.

This was until tried to move it out 2 nights ago when all it would do it turn & turn but not fire.

I haven't had much time to check round it but it will fire up when I spray carb cleaner into the intake so it looks like a fuel issue. ( the is petrol in the tank)

I also swapped the green relay in the box on the o/s but no difference.

Like I said, I have had little time at it or to get near it and it seems very odd to just stop like that.

Is there a fuse or relay etc that could be the casue of the problem?

Cheers

Carbs4me

Sounds like a fuel relay, i dont know much about the 405's but i have had this problem afew times after doing engine swaps etc, usually the relay needs a tap to free it up. when you turn the key the fuel pump should engage which should be quite easy to hear assuming the pumps are under the rear seats on these.

• Like 1

S@m

The Mi16 does have a fuel pump relay - its usually located in a relay box behind the drivers side headlight on a 405 - been a while since i worked on one - even longer for a mi16x4! You could try bridging it and obviously if it then starts then the relay is at fault. Often the relay plug pins (for this relay and the injector/ign one) corrode in my experience - but thats more common on 205 mi16's since they rarely utilise the relay box.

That isn't the only possibility - you might have to download CAPS (awesome xu9j4 utility) and get the multimeter out!

Sam

Edited by Sam306
  • Like 1

pug_ham

Is the battery in a good state of charge?

It could simply be a low battery or the fuel pump fuses, iirc its in the box with the fuel relay.

Does it run for long when you spray carb cleaner down the intake? If it runs as normal that rules out the fuel relay & fuse imo.

g

• Like 1

dee205

Problem solved!

It turns out there was a diy imobiliser switch hidden in the back of centre dash pocket that I must have hit cleaning the car. The owner didn't even know about it because it was the first thing I asked him when it wouldn't start!

It gave me a chance to take it out the road a blast though when I got it going!

Thanks for your replies guys.

• Like 1