• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ginge191

Whirring Speedo?

ginge191

As titled; i'm getting a pretty awful whirring noise coming from behind my speedo.

It does NOT make the noise once i've picked up a certain temperature/been running the car for a while, but can often start again once i start moving after being on standstill for a while.

It gets louder as i drive faster and sends the reading on the dash mad (i hit 120mph+ apparently the other day)

Any ideas??

Matt205

You need to slow down ;-)

Sorry that's useless advice but I couldn't resist.

allye

You need to slow down ;-)

Sorry that's useless advice but I couldn't resist.

Yes, yes it is! Well the obvious answer would be to replace the cable, its cheap and easy to do. Is the noise coming from directly behind the gauges? It could be the speedo drive on the gearbox playing up but wouldn't make the sound you describe.

DamirGTI

Remove the dash top cover , remove the instrument cluster and use some MoS2 based spray and spray down the speedo cable , or can add some engine oil with a syringe ... after that use a tiny brush and stuff some lithium grease on the end of the speedo trying to push the grease as far as you can down the cable ..

That should quiet it down B) .. at least it did on mine , quick and easy repair .

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI