• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

Mi16 Coolant Temp Issue

starky5

Hi, Ive not long had my mi16 conversion running and have just sorted out most the teething issues. So i just did a 15ish mile dual carriage way run and although my temp gauge is fine my expansion tank it steaming!

What could this be caused by/a sign of?

Thanks

welshpug

weak expansion tank cap, or the cap not fitted correctly, or over filled system.

starky5

There was also some steam from the radiator, does this suggest my radiator has a little leak? There is no sign of leaks when the cars parked up.

Finally to clarify the fact my coolant is hot enough to steam is ok, i just need to make just my cap fits properly?

Lee3022

If you don't know what your doing best bet would be to get it to someone who does before something more drastic happens like head gasket failure etc, at least then you could be sure of the problem.

pug_ham

Steam from the rad can be simply due to moisture building up between the fin's & when it gets warmed up evaporates so might not be indication of anything, especially at this time of year.

Keep a close eye on your level & if it drops look closer for the source.

g