• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lee3022

Rescued 205 Mi

Lee3022

Well, a friend of mine built this 205 up for track use then had to sell it and couldn't, he had spent so much on it so was going to break it up, decided I would take it on finish it and use it as it is a very nice car, clean shell, nice paint and a few nice bits, just needs a few things to make it a great track car.

Had one or 2 of these back in the day but I went on to cosworths and had a few, even an RS500 so don't know anything about these cars at all.

This one was a 1.9 gti but has an mi 16 engine, looks like its on 2 sets of twin carbs which I've no idea about, thought it would be fuel injected, it's been rebuilt I know that with, looks like an alloy block as I was told there is two types of block on these.

Just need a set of brakes then its time to see if it will pass an mot, for now I've got a set of gti6 brakes coming but will be upgraded when up and running.

Few pics,

005-1.jpg

191-1.jpg

190-1.jpg

200-1.jpg

212-1.jpg

190-1.jpg

213-1.jpg

192-1.jpg

All polished up now so looks great, will get updated pics, not sure whether to keep the wheels black or put my spare set on which are oem look, thoughts?

Hard to see wheels in the pics will get better ones

• Like 1

Baz

Saw that for sale, looked like a pretty good buy!

• Like 1

Lee3022

Yes I thought so too, had loads done to it by the previous owner, the list is endless but still didn't sell so I've taken it on, hope to get it mot'ed and on the road by Xmas, next year I will be changing parts I don't like and stripping and painting parts of the car like underneath, engine etc as although its a track car I like cars to be immaculate, wouldn't mind a turbo engine instead though

sensualt101

looks a good car but for me is way too modified.

too many 205 gtis have been stripped out and we need more decent standard cars in the 205 population i feel :(

welshpug

looks a good car but for me is way too modified.

I guess you don't venture into the project area on here too often then :lol:

• Like 1

chipstick

Looks like a nice car. Enjoy it.

too many 205 gtis have been stripped out and we need more decent standard cars in the 205 population i feel :(

I bought mine standard and admittidly when I fitted the Gti6 engine I started to have second thoughts about taking away the originality - although nothing was done that couldn't have been changed back easily.

Initially I only expected to own it a year max and did it for something to do as a learning experience opposed to the finished outcome.

The value of standard ones are increasing and by getting a cage welded in etc I am going to be considerably reducing the market it will appeal to - but I then thought bugger it, it's what I want from my car. If in many years to come I am kicking myself for it doing it and not keeping it original then so be it, at least I can say I did what I wanted to with the vehicle, not what I thought the next owner would want.

If I'd had kept mine as a 1.9 I wouldn't have kept it and then if the values continued to creep beyond a justifiable amount to buy one in years to come to re live any memories - at least I'd be able to say I had one, and had it how I wanted it.

sensualt101

I guess you don't venture into the project area on here too often then :lol:

on the contrary i love to see all the projects and rebuilds in the forums as to me it showcases all the skills and methods to do pretty much anything to keep our cars on the roads and i never cease to be amazed at the things that can be done. i have learned so much being a member here and believe its the number 1 resource for knowledge on 205 gti's :)

all the skills and methods can be applied to restorations as well as modifications it just so happens that i own a completely standard example so restoration is my bag.

i am however toying with the idea of buying another that has already been messed with to develop for myself so i am not just a purist lol! :P

Lee3022

If this was a standard road car there is no way I'd own it, been there done it when they were new ish, I need a track toy, even at that this Peugeot is underpowered for me as I go to the ring every year too, but, houses, kids and day to day living are draining my cash so a budget track car and something I can get out and have fun in is what I need right now.

There's nothing that can't be changed back in the car if someone really wanted to do that but I don't, need to get it back on the road first before I decide what I'm doing with it.

Edited by Lee3022

sensualt101

If this was a standard road car there is no way I'd own it, been there done it when they were new ish, I need a track toy, even at that this Peugeot is underpowered for me as I go to the ring every year too, but, houses, kids and day to day living are draining my cash so a budget track car and something I can get out and have fun in is what I need right now.

There's nothing that can't be changed back in the car if someone really wanted to do that but I don't, need to get it back on the road first before I decide what I'm doing with it.

i understand what you mean completely and i applaud you for keeping another 205 gti from the great scrapheap in the sky :)

Edited by sensualt101

speno

I like it !! (Im saying that in the style of that guy from Robocop ^^^)

• Like 3

Lee3022

i understand what you mean completely and i applaud you for keeping another 205 gti from the great scrapheap in the sky :)

Thanks as that was where it was going after being taken to bits, I just thought it was a nice car so thought I'd buy it off my friend and get it back running and on the road first, see what needs doing then, the body is lovely to be honest, in the pics it looks filthy, want to fit the front fogs back as it doesn't look right to me so will hunt some down and fit the new rear bumper that came with it.

Lee3022

At least stripped out I can keep an eye out for rust haha

sensualt101

Thanks as that was where it was going after being taken to bits, I just thought it was a nice car so thought I'd buy it off my friend and get it back running and on the road first, see what needs doing then, the body is lovely to be honest, in the pics it looks filthy, want to fit the front fogs back as it doesn't look right to me so will hunt some down and fit the new rear bumper that came with it.

i am sure you will find a set of driving lights pretty easily and there is a lot of threads mentioning the different kinds on here.

and indeed the shell looks in great condition and well worth saving :)

i look forward to seeing you progress with it

cybernck

There's a massive difference between a stripped out banger and a properly sorted out trackday car, that your appears to be :).

• Like 2

Lee3022

There's a massive difference between a stripped out banger and a properly sorted out trackday car, that your appears to be :).

Thank you, yes it's certainly no banger, there's not rot on the body like most and it has had anything it needed in the past, have a total history folder with it, engine just rebuilt and head freshened up with new valves and guides, head gasket, rear brake compensating valves I think they are called which weren't cheap, timing belt and tensioner,, clutch, driveshafts are new, 4 new toyo T1R tyres, 309 rear beam just fitted so discs at the rear too, carbs just been balanced, custom made centre console just done with push button start, integral fire extinguisher system, new suspension but not sure what make think its avo, poly bushes, had 6 pot brakes but they are gone as were rubbish so fitting some gti6 brakes for mot then will look at what others are doing, cobra evolution seats cost more than a scruffy 205 alone, custom built cage, oil pump new as is water pump, new rear bumper and valance, stainless exhaust which is a little loud for some reason will look at that, loads more has been done the list is endless, even came with a spare gearbox, 4 mint spare alloys in the original colour, and the new rear bumper as the old one had a crack in it.

Front end has just had £1200 spent on it after a van kindly reversed into the front near side so inner and outer wing replaced, slam panel, headlight and indicator front bumper, all resprayed, nearly got wrote off so the car is a lucky one I'd say.

Keljon

Looks a well sorted track day car, always loved them in white

Lee3022

Well, the car was parked in my garage a year ago and has not been run since as the battery had died and with my mates plans to break it the car hasn't moved, put a fresh set of plugs in it yesterday and bought it a new battery, fired up straight away so it's now on my optimate and very happy there was no other issues.

Have my gti6 brakes now which I'm in the process of rubbing down for paint as they were pretty filthy although perfectly serviceable, hopefully get them fitted this week and it will be ready for MOT as it shouldn't need anything else.

Only thing I'm bothered about now is insurance, pay £50 a month for my everyday car and really don't need another payment of the same but I'm guessing as soon as I mention engine mods and a roll cage I'm pretty stuffed, can anyone recommend a sensible insurance company for cars like this?

I have full no claims on my other car so guess I will have to insure this with none, not looking forward to it.

skyinsurance

Only thing I'm bothered about now is insurance, pay £50 a month for my everyday car and really don't need another payment of the same but I'm guessing as soon as I mention engine mods and a roll cage I'm pretty stuffed, can anyone recommend a sensible insurance company for cars like this?

I have full no claims on my other car so guess I will have to insure this with none, not looking forward to it.

Please do feel free to get in touch, we insure track ready cars for road use in high volumes.

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/modified-car-insurance.html

Lee3022

Well, needed more than I thought, always the way.

Battery

Steering rack

Track rod ends

Carb tune

Tracking

Starter motor

Plugs, again

2 front gti 6 calipers, new refurbed

New rear calipers

Discs and pads

Front braided brake lines

Another new copper brake line