• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamie_1992

Oil Pressure Gauge Problems

jamie_1992

needing some help getting my oil pressure gauge to work on in my 205 gti6 i have the adapter to run my original 205 sensor i have put it on blanking the end with the gti6 original sensor (dont know if it still needs to be connected or not

when i start the engine it shows no oil pressure on the gauge and the light is on i must have oil pressure as i have had it running for ages and it would of started knocking by now if it didnt have any

the gauge worked in the car with the original engine so any ideas on what im doing wrong?

it also makes no diffrence if i have the gti6 sensor connected or not

Anthony

You have added and wired in a wire for the oil pressure gauge, haven't you, as only Phase 1 GTi-6's had one - Phase 2 and 3 did not.

You should have two wires connected when done - one for the oil pressure switch (for the warning light) and one for the oil pressure sender (for the gauge).

If you've connected the warning light wire to the gauge sender then the warning light will be on with the engine running

jamie_1992

the loom was converted by miles it has the gray connector for the original gti6 and also has a new wire with a crimp on the end

Miles

Easy way to test is to earth the crimp out, this will bring the Oil pressure guage to the Max

jamie_1992

i have earthed the crimp and the gauge still dose nothing what dose this mean?

welshpug

its the wrong wire.

jamie_1992

only pics i have of the wire

IMG_05401.jpg

IMG_05421.jpg

Miles

It's not the wrong wire, But does anything happen when you earth the wire, Anything else light up or move? Could be a faulty Gauge although very rare

jamie_1992

when i had the gti6 sender plugged in the gauge just flickerd and no light when i put the 205 sender in the light comes on and registers nothing. the gauge worked with the original engine in and the sender i am using atm

Miles

Ah ha, Are you using the T piece and 205 oil pressure sender (Larger round unit) and the 306 warning light as in the pic above? or both warning light switch's?

• Like 1

jamie_1992

I'm using the t peice with the 205 sender (the small thread round one in the side of the t peice) and the gti6 warning light (what I took out to screw the adapter in, with the Gary plug on the end)

welshpug

Gary plug? :lol:

Can't see the adapter in the pic? Only the pressure switch.

jamie_1992

The Grey plug!!! ( dam auto correct )

I don't have pic of adapter that was just a pic of the wire I had, il take a pic of the set up I have tonight so you can see

Miles

When you say the 205 and GTi6 sender's, Which ones do you mean as they are vastly different and cannot be connected from one to another

jamie_1992

some pics of what i have

IMG_05501.jpg

IMG_05521.jpg

welshpug

hmm, I do hope that's not touching the alternator!

Given the gauge does nothing when you earth that spade connector then its got to be the instruments or a connection between the engine and the gauge.

jamie_1992

think im just going to have to buy an after market gauge to go in the car if i cant get this to work

im thinking its a connection as the gauge work fine befor

Edited by jamie_1992

Miles

The low oil pressure should light the 'STOP' Oil & water temp lights, the grey wire should ping the gauge to the top when Earth'd

jamie_1992

the stop light and the oil and water lights are on its just when you earth the gray wire it dose not ping the gauge up

could this be a dodgy connection

Miles

Have you got a continuity checker at all? It's the only real way to check

jamie_1992

im not sure what one of those is do you mean a test light

i earthed it useing a test light i also have a power probe if this is any help

jamie_1992

Ok I know what that is now will I need to take the dash out and check behind there or is there a wire on the multi plug I can test?

Anton green

I'm not that familiar with gti6 converted 205 wiring, but have owned an mi16 converted one and done some wiring in the area so may be able to offer some help. There is a wire on the multiplug you can test, and that will mean that you are only testing some of the circuit for continuity. If you find a break in continuity here though then that narrows down the stretch which you are looking to rectify.

Daviewonder has a multiplug wire guide picture in his signature last time I checked, which may offer you some pointers on wire numbers/codes/colours.

Also, you may or may not wish to put a second copper washer under the T-piece adapter so it is rotated around with more clearance between the alternator and pressure guage mushroom when tightened.

Miles

The wire needs to go directly to Earth, Not thru a Bulb

jamie_1992

Ok so if I use a bit of wire just to earth it direct ?