• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johniban

Turbo 1.9 Gti Engine Or Buy 2.0 T Engine?

johniban

So i have been trowling the search bar on the forum.

i cant decided what would be my best bet, weather to turbo the 1.9 gti engine, possibly low comp pistons ect. but then needing aftermarket management.

or.. to get a 2.0 8v lump with ecu and loom and fit that,

what is my best bet?

jamie_1992

dont bother with 2.0 8v loads of effort for not a lot stick a gti6 lump in there :)

johniban

dont really fancy a gti6 lump, want something with a bit off room around it to work on. possibly a tu5jp4 engine, like the 106 gti engine but newer

jamie_1992

stick a 106 gti with a turbo on in it could be fun nice light engine with a pic of poke

Daviewonder

dont bother with 2.0 8v loads of effort for not a lot stick a gti6 lump in there :)

Have you had experience with either of these or are you just guessing?

jamie_1992

yes my mate has a 8v turbo and i have a gti his is quicker off the line but once going i storm past him lol

aarontrophy

My 2 litre 8v turbo plays with Clio 200 focus rs

m_attt

either something is wrong or he's not driving it right, I have both a gti6 205 and a 8v turbo 205 with upped boost and its soooo much quicker, would easily out do my e36 m3 that i owned at the same time as the turbo wen i 1st got it.

welshpug

hmm, choosing the turbo to have less crap in the engine bay?   :lol:  have a look at one ;)these days there's no need to go low comp, as its not a high compression comparatively anyway, decent mapping with give you an engine that drives as normal off boost and one that pulls very hard on boost :)

stef205

Everyone can drive fast in a straight line, the question was which engine is the better one to have.

1 FAT PUG

i got a turbo technics 1.9 and must say i have had a laugh in it sat on expencive cars bumpers for the fun of it, but i can no longer really afford to keep it so i think my friend is wanting to give it a good home :-)

jamie_1992

get back to the question in hand 1.9 turbo conversion or 2.0 turbo?

Baz

My 2 litre 8v turbo plays with Clio 200 focus rs

As does my 1.6 8v.

• Like 2

welshpug

I bet Tom Fenton would say 1.6 :D

Miles

TT turbo without a doubt, the 2.0 one is pretty slow in comparison when in std form, Even when tuned the 1.9's are better, not the cheapest option thou

Anthony

2.0 Turbo, in standard form, is in my opinion very ill-suited to the whole character and ethos of a 205 GTi.

Yes it's torquey and yes it's effortless, but it is completely devoid of character, lazily unwilling to rev, lacking response and most of them are pretty knackered these days so factor in a turbo rebuild at the least if you try upping the boost - which it needs seeing as it's not actually very quick as standard.

Personally, they remind me of driving a diesel in terms of characteristics - just with a fraction of the economy you'd actually get with a diesel. Maybe you'll like it as plenty out there do, but certainly it's not for me. I'd personally strongly suggest driving one first, especially if you're the sort - like me - that loves an engine that wants to rev and that has a crisp, instant throttle response. The 2.0 Turbo is neither of those things in standard form.

1.9 TT is a much more interesting and enjoyable package, feeling much more like a good 1.9 8v on steroids, retaining much of the original engines character and response, but with a hell of a lot more urge when on boost. Not cheap to do properly, but would unquestionably be my choice for a boosted 8v out of the two.

Personally though, I'd have a 'valver every time.

aarontrophy

As does my 1.6 8v.

Really what you done to it

omega

Really what you done to it

i belive it has a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

• Like 1

johniban

What is the 1.9 tt engine? sorry i have a bit of a lack of knowledge when it comes to a 205

The reason i was thinking about the 106 gti engine is, its small and light and very quick standard. and my 106 gti seems much quicker and pulls harder than my 205 gti.

and they have some good parts available to turbo them.

Plus there are readily available engines of low millage and are cheap.

or... i strip my 1.9 engine down, low comp pistons ect and turbo it, but then the engine is very old and tyred, will the liners take the boost without cracking?

jamie_1992

1.9 tt being a turbo tecnics conversion think they are hard to get hold of now but you do see them pop up now and then

Batfink

What is the 1.9 tt engine? sorry i have a bit of a lack of knowledge when it comes to a 205

The reason i was thinking about the 106 gti engine is, its small and light and very quick standard. and my 106 gti seems much quicker and pulls harder than my 205 gti.

and they have some good parts available to turbo them.

Plus there are readily available engines of low millage and are cheap.

or... i strip my 1.9 engine down, low comp pistons ect and turbo it, but then the engine is very old and tyred, will the liners take the boost without cracking?

The 106 gti engine is neither small or light. Its about the same weight as the 8v GTI.

Tom Fenton

My biggest issue with the TU 106GTI engine is that it uses a chocolate MA gearbox.

welshpug

as standard yes, though not difficult to get a BE box in there, it will add more to the cost of the transplant.

johniban

i dont see why everyone thinks the ma gearbox is naff. its only the planet gears that have trouble with shearing off but that happens on 1.1's from lowering and wheel spinning. (abuse really)

I dont rate the be gearbox over the ma really, alot of people use the ma in standard form with an lsd on turbod 106's with 250bhp+ and seem ok.

the tu is small and light compared to a gti6 engine...

johniban

1.9 tt being a turbo tecnics conversion think they are hard to get hold of now but you do see them pop up now and then

Oh ok i see, surely the i can just copy the turbo technics kit, im guessing they just use a 5th injector set up, i dont really want to use that kind of set up, id prefer an aftermarket ecu.

Well im stuck on what engine to use.

Rebuild the 1.9 and add a turbo set up

106 gti lump and add turbo set up

2.0 8v turbo seems out of the question,

possibly gti6 engine and add turbo set up ( witch i know wont be cheap or easy due do the mani being on the rear but sounds fun)