• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dexter1002

8V Engine Loom

dexter1002

Hi guys,

I've just started removing my engine loom from my 1986 gti and I can't seem to find the brown plugs? I'm removing as I've got a gti6 engine gong in. The loom just seems to carry on up round the column and straight to the ECU plug and I couldn't see the loom spurring off to any plugs? I've done searches but they've all had two plugs, I did see something about early 205's only having one? Could someone please assist me.

Thanks

Anthony

Phase 1's don't have the two brown plugs as the wiring is quite different - the ignition loom is integrated into the front light loom for example, instead of being a standalone ignition and fuelling loom like the later cars (which do have the two brown multiplugs)

dexter1002

Who do I go about the gti6 conversion then please?

dcc

find your self a switched live, earth and your fuelpump wire and go from there! :)

Anthony

All the connections you need to join into are on the passenger side (light) loom - ignition and tacho are by the coil, fuel pump is down near the battery (IIRC - it's been ages since I've worked on a Phase 1) and sensor wiring is all there obvious enough.

welshpug

Depends how early the car is, late 86/early 87 will have a single 5 pin brown plug and the tachy relay by the ecu.

Miles

Phase 1's are dead easy to wire up, Just done one, 99% of the sensor wires are there already, Just a case of checking which ones are what and use a plug to connect it all up

dexter1002

Thanks guys, that's a big help. So all the wiring I need to go Into is behind the glove box? is there a certain plug with all the sensors in together ? Or is it mix match with the lighting?

Cheers

pug_ham

Its all mixed in with the lighting loom, there will be specific plugs with individual wires you need for the conversion but it'll be much easier to find them in the engine bay & seperate them off to join into the GTI-6 loom imo.

The coil wiring & rev counter signal wire will be at the coil & depending on the exact age of your car your tachym,etric relay could be onthe l/h chassis leg near the front of the battery tray.

g

Miles

No plugs in the fuse box, I just cut all the sensor wires under the water bottle and make a nice join there with a couple of new plugs, You find the wires you need when the old engine is out

dexter1002

Yeah everything is there just need to take the time and work it out, I'm picking the engine up tomorrow so will have a look at the looms then. Thanks for everyone's information no doubt I will need more when I start.

dexter1002

No plugs in the fuse box, I just cut all the sensor wires under the water bottle and make a nice join there with a couple of new plugs, You find the wires you need when the old engine is out

What kind of plugs do you use? Peugeot ones ? and have you got any information of which wires go where on the phase 1? I have pictures and info on phase 2 wire numbers and colours but not sure if its the same?

Miles

Numbers are different, No idea on what they are as I just know, I used Peugeot ones as I have all the crimps but a suitable IP plug is fine

dexter1002

Numbers are different, No idea on what they are as I just know, I used Peugeot ones as I have all the crimps but a suitable IP plug is fine

No worries I will have a crack at it tomorrow, thanks!

dexter1002

I've pulled out the Haynes manual and I've looked at the wiring diagram for the gauges, all the numbers I've cross referenced with the ones I found on here for the phase 2 loom are the same.

But as someone said the phase 1 differs to the 1.5 and 2. Are the numbers different ? Or does the Haynes not show a phase 1 diagram? Is says on the front A to N reg and I used the correct engine code.

Could some one please assist me.

Cheers :)

pug_ham

Wire numbers didn't change between phases afaik.

Haynes is more likely to show the earlier phase 1/1.5 diagrams imo but they did update them later on so it depends on what style of haynes manual you have & the year it was published (colour picture or cutaway b&w pic).

g

dexter1002

Right I've found all the relevant wires tonight, after a couple hours trying to read the numbers as half of them were unreadable! Do I discard the tachy relay? And also do I keep the (M) earth for the rest of the loom or just simply cut it? As well as the ignition supply do I need to just splice into it or can I cut it ? I'm not sure if the supply the rest of the loom, lighting, rad sensor, fan, ect?

Thanks for everyone's help,

I may post up all the phase 1 wiring for anyone else that maybe doing the transplant.

pug_ham

Do you know what year 306 your loom & ecu came from? There are small differences which might mean you need the wire for the VSS because looking at autodata, up to 05/97 the vss was powered from the double relay but after that was from the ignition switched feed.

You'll need to keep the earth for the main loom but can safely remove the one from the ecu loom & the tachy relay. You should be able to remove the complete fuel injection loom & ecu from your car to replace with the GTI-6 one once you have the wires you need to join to get it working.

Once you have the wires you need separated off from the rest of the lighting loom you can cut the old ones & join them to the GTI-6 loom, iirc you are only looking for three wires. (double relay ignition switched feed, fuel pump feed from double relay (via IFS), rev counter signal (needs a converter to work on your rev counter).

The GTI-6 has the MIL light but that isn't fitted to your car so you'd need to start running extra wires from the fusebox to the clocks etc on such an early car.

You shouldn't be disturbing the lighting etc loom & the fan/ rad sensor has its own seperate loom which stays intact as it is.

g

dexter1002

The engine is 1999, I've found all the wires and separated from the lighting loom, I've got the 3 main wires and all the gauge wires separated so hopefully it's just a case of connecting them up to the 6 loom.

Some of the numbers differed slighty to the ones I found on here but I got there in the end, could you explain exactly what is needed to get the gauge working ? I've seen the looms you can buy, but there is a couple wires coming out of them and I just wondered what they connected to?

Thanks for your help! and hopefully that will be my last question :)

Miles

Just get hold of the Autodata wiring Diag, think it's on here somewhere if you have a search, You need to sort the Rev Counter and add the oil pressure gauge, Just strip the 6 loom of all the old unused wires plus sensors and start fresh as they all go the wrong way so have to have silly link looms etc

dexter1002

I've sorted all the wiring and connected them up via super seal plugs, just need to strip all the old used wires out of the looms.

Thanks for everyone's help its been very helpful!

Just get hold of the Autodata wiring Diag, think it's on here somewhere if you have a search, You need to sort the Rev Counter and add the oil pressure gauge, Just strip the 6 loom of all the old unused wires plus sensors and start fresh as they all go the wrong way so have to have silly link looms etc

I need to buy the t piece off you at some point !