• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
VND

Xud9 Cutting Out?

VND

Morning all, I hope people dont mind that I may have posted this in the wrong section. I cant seem to find one appropriate, but hope someone can help.

I have an XUD9 N/A that has started cutting out recently.

Always about five minutes after a cold start-up, when coasting into a roandabout or junction.

I know coasting is bad driving practice, but I'm a fuel whore and like to wring every last mpg from every tank.

Any ideas what could be causing the cut out?

Car always bumps or restarts from the key with no problems.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Paul_13

Few things to check:

Alternator voltage - solenoid needs a solid 12v or it will shut.

Check leak off hoses for splits/leaks

When was diesel filter last changed?

Battery ok?

Loose connections positive and negative

How low is your idle?

Cold start cable thing on thermostat housing seized?

VND

Few things to check:

Alternator voltage - solenoid needs a solid 12v or it will shut.

Check leak off hoses for splits/leaks

When was diesel filter last changed?

Battery ok?

Loose connections positive and negative

How low is your idle?

Cold start cable thing on thermostat housing seized?

Cheers Paul.

Battery and altenator are fine.

Diesel filter is 2k old. Same as air and oil filter.

Idle is fine and will idle steady even from cold, only cuts out if its revved high then left to drop to idle or near idle. (tested while stationary from cold)

I'll check the cold start cable tmorrow morn.

Edited by VND

Weser

Once it starts and cuts out and you restart it (bump start it) does it ever cut out again.

If not I would think its air getting in the fuel lines, probably because they have perished with age.

Paul_13

Is the idle really low?

I had the same problem with it cutting out, was because the air filter was clogged with oil and couldn't suck air in.

Also there's 2 screws on the diesel pump that limit the swing of the arm that controls the cold start. One of mine come loose and adjusted itself soo much the engine cut out

Strictly_Derv

I had similar issues to yours, turns out it was the stop solenoid live with a bad connection. It's the wire which bolts to the right side of the injector pump, 8mm nut securing it. Check the wires all good.

Mine actually snapped the other day, overtaking foot to the floor and the engine died. Thought it threw a rod at first :unsure:

VND

Once it starts and cuts out and you restart it (bump start it) does it ever cut out again.

If not I would think its air getting in the fuel lines, probably because they have perished with age.

No mate, Its never cut out more than once in any day. Always while warming up ish. Never when at temp.

Is the idle really low?

I had the same problem with it cutting out, was because the air filter was clogged with oil and couldn't suck air in.

Also there's 2 screws on the diesel pump that limit the swing of the arm that controls the cold start. One of mine come loose and adjusted itself soo much the engine cut out

It Idles steady and happily when stationary, just falling from high revs to idle that seems to make it "stall". I'll check the air filter, but its done less than 2k. Worth a check though deffo!

I'll allso check the swing arm screws, thanks for that.

I had similar issues to yours, turns out it was the stop solenoid live with a bad connection. It's the wire which bolts to the right side of the injector pump, 8mm nut securing it. Check the wires all good.

Mine actually snapped the other day, overtaking foot to the floor and the engine died. Thought it threw a rod at first :unsure:

Someone else mentioned the Stop Solenoid, I'll check the connection as you described.

Cheers for all the help lads, you've given me a good few pointers to check up on.

Strictly_Derv

After re-reading it I'm pretty certain it is a solenoid/wire issue. The engine movement from lift off can cause a break in the circuit then close it again when it's back in position.

pug_ham

If it is a solenoid / power / wire issue it might also be the glow plug relay as iirc this feeds the solenoid its 12v.

g

VND

Cheers folks. Solenoid and GPR added to check list.

I'll report back with findings.

Weser

if it was a break in the wire to do with the stop solenoid would you not expect it to cut out more often? I know they can be iffy - the middle fell out of mine and the car wouldn't stop with the key :ph34r:

VND

Same as air in fuel, but worth checking.

Weser

well what happened with me with air getting into the fuel is that when I stopped the car the car would cool down and draw air into the fuel lines but when I went to start it again there would still be fuel in part of the system and I could start it up drive it a little way then it would cut out because of the air. All i would have to do is crank it and start it. The air would then leave the system and I wouldn't have another cut out for the whole journey. Only when I left the car to get cold.

pug_ham

Air in fuel lines due to fuel supply hoses perishing wouldn't see it start up as easily & would show up when driving as a lack of power or hunting on idle, that's how it showed up on my old STDT.

I know they can be iffy - the middle fell out of mine and the car wouldn't stop with the key :ph34r:

This also happened to me as well, a new solenoid fixed it in minutes.

g

VND

Update!

Well having "Driven around" the problem for a while, I was presented with a windless and dry day.

Best go and fiddle the car then.

You know when people say "Always check the simple things first!"?

Well lets do that.

Hold on tight because I'm going to be using some pretty technical terms.

That air gap between the back stop screw/bolt thing and thottle thing pump arm thing looks a bit big.

IMAG0611.jpg

Maybe winding that out will help. LETS DO THIS!

IMAG0612.jpg

Tightened the throttle cable up a bit (just by moving the clip) and it no longer cuts out when the revs drop, and is mar more responsive too (obviously).

Im sure its not the way the Haynes said to adjust idle, but it seems to have worked, and made sense to me (though Im a retard).

We shall see how it goes, havnt given it a good run yet, but its certainly now exhibiting the same symptoms when cold or warming, so fingers crossed.

Cheers everyone for the help.

• Like 1