• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

buchanan84

1.6 Resurection And...

buchanan84

Right... the project has started... :unsure:

not been on here much in the last 6 or 7 years since the 205 was parked up in a shed,

it drove briefly after 2 years when the shed roof collapsed due to snow (luckily the 205 was out 1st)

since then it was left outside in the rain :(

been thinking about what to do with it, along with buying occasional random bits that might be usefull... :ph34r:

had really been looking for a garage or workspace to rent in Aberdeen area so I could tinker away slowly but no luck

luckily for me (and foolishly for him) a mate down in Perthshire has agreed to let me use his workshop (and tools B))

as long as i keep it rolling and push it back outside between working on it at weekends and holidays

anyway this is how it is after 7 yrs abandoned

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

^both sides

IMG_2004.jpg

^both sides

IMG_2005.jpg

most of the rust was there before but surprisingly it hasn't cured itself <_<

I'm not sure what the final goal of the car is... have various ideas from sprints and hillclimbs or road rallies or proper rallies or...

but to start with i want to get it back on the road... so...

list so far,

-fix all rust

-tidy all bodywork

-sort out wiring (found a melted plug :ph34r: )

-respray

-fit an engine (still undecided)

-overhaul suspension

-mot and drive it :D

sounds simple :wacko:

buchanan84

a few pics of the progress so far...

engine is out and front bumper off to see whats what...

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

^ hmm think i might have had an oil leak at some point...

IMG_2039.jpg

^ offside should be treatable

IMG_2038.jpg

^ nearside will be getting cut out

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg ^ clean shiny :D

farmer

looking good !! Good to see another Scottish member restoring !!!

buchanan84

Yeh its going to be a long project... quite daunting starting as everywhere you look you see more work!!!

farmer

yeah i was the same you get there in the end am just changing my bottles in the engine bay just now so you know where i am on my restoration -_-

sensualt101

its always good to see another 205 gti being saved! :)

i look forward to seeing how you progress

Anthony

I know that Scottish cars seem to be bad for rust, but that nearside inner wing looks horrendous (in 205 terms, obviously) :o

Was it left sat with the bonnet partly open like the first picture or something? Just looks odd the way that it's rusted so extensively on that corner like it's been submerged in salt water, and yet the rest of the front end doesn't look too bad for the most part and at a glance it all looks fairly original and straight :unsure:

Good luck getting it properly sorted and back on the road - it's been laid up far too long!

• Like 1

buchanan84

I don't think Scotland is to blame for this 1... bought it in Wolverhampton when I was at uni in Coventry

the rust was there before it was parked up and is actually more solid than it looks... my guess is a battery leaked years ago and took the paint off

buchanan84

well got a little bit done between drinks over the festive period

Ns wing removed without damaging it :D

IMG_2067_zps5bb433ab.jpg

IMG_2068_zps497ef035.jpg

Os inner wing and headlight panel, rubbed downs, rust treated and painted with por15 rust proof paint....

IMG_2077_zps10015074.jpg

IMG_2078_zps485fee8e.jpg

paint finish is quite smooth but not sure i stirred it enough as the colours a bit streaky ;) colours quite a close match though...

the runs are definately my fault though :ph34r:

aarontrophy

Looking good mate :)

sensualt101

you must have been very careful and patient to get that wing off without any damage at all? nice job! :)

buchanan84

Cheers,

the wing was a test of patience, used a long handled stanley knife and with a hot air gun, cut through the sealant

was that much of a faff, decided the other 1 doesn't need to come off

buchanan84

Coming up on 2 years later... and not any further on :(

my mates garage got a lot busier with another shutting down and not so easy to borrow space..

But...

I have now bought a house with a Garage :D and even room to make it a bigger one :ph34r:

1385433_10154713564130403_55178962379211

just need to work out whether to get the 205 in that or knock it down and build bigger first (if I can fined the pennies)

Supersport2

Get the car in there and store all the bits in the shed! Well, a good portion of them!!

idoari

great project, nice work. keep it up :)

good luck! ;)

Kezzer30

Looking good bud love the effort so far

buchanan84

well almost another year and the plan changed slightly again...
about 5 mins after knocking down the old garage decided I should really move in with the girlfriend and build the new garage there... so this year have built the new garage, started kitting it out, bought a container for storage and at the weekend brought the 205 home :D

so everyone likes pics...

New Garage,
temporary_zpscf9tedmo.jpg

temporary_zps8nqrjspp.jpg

temporary_zpshyw7kznj.jpg

temporary_zpsehxip0b4.jpg

IMAG0018_zpshq1vv7dk.jpg

Shiny Subaru sold now, got a 350z, ideal for winter in Aberdeen :ph34r:
IMAG0044_zpslh7dipy5.jpg

cluttered mess already ;)
IMAG0413_zpsggq5q0sy.jpg

IMAG0414_zpsvsttbodl.jpg

Container filling up already (still have loads in my garden shed at my house)
IMAG0429_zpsazt0nhtu.jpg

Old girl looking pretty sad
IMAG0432_zpsre5w6lyv.jpg

IMAG0433_zpsmnt3mfwr.jpg

Just need to give it a wash and get it inside, then it should be easy....

arbor

Keep the updates coming, I'd be grateful for the covered building next the new garage. Decent space and room to work out of the Scottish winter.

buchanan84

that's now full of hay for the winter (or could store all sorts...) have been told I've to stick to my garage and the container, the rest is for horses... we'll see :ph34r:

buchanan84

Bit of a backwards step at the weekend...

IMAG0488_zps1wng5giw.jpg

Bugger :(

No damage to the 205 or anything that was in their thankfully just the garage and its roof ;)

Anthony

Oh dear, that didn't last very long did it? :(

Sounds like you got away pretty lightly if the contents weren't damaged though - I take it that the roof got lifted and blown off?

arbor

Result no car damage but right bugger for the new shed. The winds up here have been relentless, wind, rain or snow now for weeks. It'll all mend, think Scotland might run out of roofing felt though. My local supplier agricultural suppliers have none left..

buchanan84

yeh pretty lucky really, the whole roof went as one then smashed into 3 bits, 1 stopping a foot from the neighbours massive glazed end of house!! my mountainbike was behind the 205 and pushed it forward without damaging anything and a big steel chimney thing that I was painting fell over and was millimetres from smashing the back window of a pickup canopy that was in there!!! so yeh pretty lucky... :o

need to get wood the same profile as the wall, thought that would be the hard bit never mind felt...

buchanan84

So another 4 years on...

The garage got fixed, the 205 got put up on stands and more bits taken off (rear axle, tank etc.)

20200930_150955.thumb.jpg.642d32f06c937d4a329aec26f65d9b28.jpg

And then sat in the corner for about 4 years :(

Now it's back on its wheels...20200930_163350.thumb.jpg.5cc82bcf01bf87b0e1b97c0818ec0395.jpg

moving house so had to get it rolling ;)

Moving to a house with more garage workshop space which will include a ramp B) will be at least a year of house works,  setting up maintaining current cars etc. but will at least be room to work on it at the same time... or not trapped in a corner anyway

One day rodney..

• Like 1

Telf

good work! Ive got an itch to buy another now- just looking for one cheap enough