• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jemehan

S16 (Xu10J4) Dash Issue

Jemehan

Hello, Looking at buying a coverted 205.

The issues listed is that the speedo, rev counter and oil pressure guages do not work. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix of if it is pretty involved? Should i get put off this car for this reason?

welshpug

usually pretty easy to sort those, I;d ask why they are not working, is it an unfinished project?

Anthony

Speedo should work anyway unless it's a late (eg VTS) gearbox as S16's use a cable drive speedo like 205's. On later gearboxes like VTS's, it's just a case of changing the speedo drive over to a cable type one.

Tacho either needs an adapter or the rev counter modifying so that it works with the feed from the S16 ECU.

Oil pressure should just be a case of adding/connecting a wire as S16's usually have a sensor on the block already, but worse case you'll also need to add a sensor if for some reason the sensor has been removed/broken or the engine came from one that didn't have an oil pressure gauge (405's and Xantia's). Straight forward enough to add, either using a 306 S16 sensor or using an adapter and the original 205 sensor.

I'd personally be wondering that if simple things like that haven't been done either properly or at all, then what sort of standard has the rest of the conversion been done to? There are some truly awful conversions out there.

welshpug

even though my 405 hasn't the gauge, the sender is still there Anthony :lol:

Miles

Ebay, I'd be vary wary as said if the conversion was done well it should all work, thing like easy fix is generally not or the current owner would do them, much like the old AC needs a re-gas, it should never leak out

Jemehan

thanks for the input fellas, The fella i bought it from has recipts for all the work done and from what i can tell from pics n recipts its been done properly. Im going to get a proper look at the car when it gets here and it may need a bit of work, thats no bother i have a spare daily at the moment. I will ask him more questions about the dash issues it clearly has. Thanks again for all the help this far!