• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
luggy

Hesitant, Sluggish Tu5Jp4 After Engine Swap

luggy

After my daily hack dropped a valve some months ago thought about fixing it but instead bought a replacement Peugeot 307 1.6 16v motor (TU5JP4) low milage to replace mine which is from a Citroen Xsara VTR coupe 1.6 16v (TU5JP4)

It starts up fine but the idle's crap and its really sluggish when cold from 2-3k, can get a little scary when pulling out of junctions as the engine dies no matter how much lead right foot I give it. Not too bad at running temp but lacking power and torque.

Here's a list of what Ive replaced

Spark plugs

Map sensor

Coil pack

Lambada pre cat

Lambada post cat

Cat itself

Throttle sensor

New timing belt kit and water pump

Took it to a garage to run diags and re-set ecu.

Swapped the cams from the old motor to the new.

Guy at the garage said the ignition was running retarded, but I've double checked the timing which is fine.

My other options are:-

CAS

VSS

Only other thing it could be is the compression on the new peugeot lump is lower than the old citroen one even thought their both TU5JP4 engines?

Any other suggestions?

trogboy

No answers but did you see the engine running before you bought it?

luggy

No answers but did you see the engine running before you bought it?

No, but the breaker I bought it from has a good rep with the local garages down here, a friend of mine who runs his own garage says they test the engines before removal, they mark the motor with the milage and year of the vehicle.

Stuck the car on axle stands, there's quite a lot of vibration on the gas and going up the gears. Wheels were refurbed and balanced so might be either a driveshaft or gearbox issue. MA gearbox on a 150K. Driveshafts are GKN new on at 70K dont get any knocking or rumbling noises when turning left or right.

Edited by luggy

trogboy

What about any vibration when you coast down? Does it go when you depress the clutch? Does the engine rev cleanly out of gear?

luggy

She revs cleanly out of gear, dont notice any vibration whilst driving just no oommmth when accelerating, only noticed the vibration with the front wheels off the ground driving through the gears up to 3k, vibration ceased once the clutch was depressed. Will check the driveshafts and gearbox tomorrow.

trogboy

What about the cam timing?

luggy

Small update

Vibration issue has now been resolved, was only noticeable on dual carriageways on long left turns, on axle stands the vibration was bad on and off the throttle Turns out the spring in the inner cv joint was broken into 4 pieces on the offside driveshaft.

Hesitation and lack of power has improved slightly, put the old plugs back in.

Driving off with the engine cold and stop on an incline within the first 2 mins then try to drive off, no matter how much lead right foot you give her she'll crawl away at 1k revs.

After the engines warmed up the issue disappears.

The engine doesn't rev cleanly from cold, but will when warmed up.

Checked the cam timing now 3 times, come the weekend I'll check it again.

Have replaced ECT and coolant sensor.

Going to put the old injectors and manifold back on

Swap the knock sensor

Replace the CAS.

Another thing noted, it seems there's a lot more heat coming from the cat to the point where the front slam panel is unusually hot touch.

Will update as changes are done, wish me luck :(

Edited by luggy

welshpug

I would get a live check of the sensor parameters done, should tell you a fair bit about what's going on.

Iif the exhaust is getting particularly hot and its rather sluggish it may be running lean.

trogboy

How do these deal with fuel enrichment when it's cold? If the issue goes when it warms up then it's not likely to be timing etc.

luggy

Replaced the CAS no different

Only item I hadn't swapped over was the original flywheel

Noticed with the original f/wheel the gap between the cas and timing teeth was 0.3mm, the new one was 0.8mm.

Swapped them today seems to have sorted the problem

However when I originally completed the engine swap I didn't allow the engine to idle on first startup until the cooling fans cut in (as suggested by citroen for this engine and management) before giving her some beans.