• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lee.kendallmi16

Peugeot 205 Gti Mi16 Stalling When Clutch Is Depressed At High Rev&#39

lee.kendallmi16

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a problem i'm having with my Peugeot 205 GTi mi16. The problem is that when i depress the clutch at high rev's the car stalls, this happens mainly when approaching a junction. If the clutch is depressed below 2000 rev's the car seems to be ok and doesn't stall. Also when the car is idling the rev's seem to hunt up and down a little.

Please can anyone help and shed some light on this problem?

Thanks

Paul_13

A new ICV should solve your problem

GLPoomobile

Do you find that sometimes the revs will drop very low (like ~600rpm) and then suddenly rise up to over 1k rpm, and then sort of bounce up and down like that as if it's trying to settle, but constantly over-compensating one way or the other?

If so, I think the reason you are seeing it stall when using the clutch from high RPM is that the revs are dropping very suddenly, and it drops past the idle speed too quickly. I had the same on my Mi16.

Yes, it could be the ICV. It could also be the throttle body too. They suffer from wear and end up letting more air through even when closed. I had all 3 problems - worn ICV, worn TB and worn AFM - but in my case I think it was the AFM that was the biggest problem as the spring went and the flap stuck in position. At the point, I couldn't get it to run at all from start, but in the days leading up to that, it was behaving how you'd described yours, and was a total nightmare. I remember driving through North London in terrible traffic (the usual) and having to constantly juggle the pedals to stop it stalling.

lee.kendallmi16

A new ICV should solve your problem

Thanks for your reply.

Will this be a mi16 ICV? Also is there any easy way of being able to clean them out?

lee.kendallmi16
Do you find that sometimes the revs will drop very low (like ~600rpm) and then suddenly rise up to over 1k rpm, and then sort of bounce up and down like that as if it's trying to settle, but constantly over-compensating one way or the other? If so, I think the reason you are seeing it stall when using the clutch from high RPM is that the revs are dropping very suddenly, and it drops past the idle speed too quickly. I had the same on my Mi16. Yes, it could be the ICV. It could also be the throttle body too. They suffer from wear and end up letting more air through even when closed. I had all 3 problems - worn ICV, worn TB and worn AFM - but in my case I think it was the AFM that was the biggest problem as the spring went and the flap stuck in position. At the point, I couldn't get it to run at all from start, but in the days leading up to that, it was behaving how you'd described yours, and was a total nightmare. I remember driving through North London in terrible traffic (the usual) and having to constantly juggle the pedals to stop it stalling.

Thanks for the reply.

I will keep the TB and AFM in mind. I think i will start with the ICV and TB first and i will probably try cleaning them first if possible on the next dry day i get. Not sure when this will be because the weather is rubbish at the moment.

Cheers