• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mw2655

Winter Tyres?

mw2655

hi,

anybody use winter tyres?

i haven't ever used any and not had any probs until the last couple of years, with all the snow :blink:

anybody recommend any particular winter tyre?

cheers matt

welshpug

Michelin alpin a3, not just for snow, theyre for winter!!

Not the outstanding performance of some but last significantly longer and well worth the premium over budgets.

dcc

I had contiwintersport on my last 205 over the winter, struggled to find a better tyre, far better than WP's recommendation!

But seriously, go to google and do some research as they all have their benefits and disadvantages

CopperBottom

I took a mates recommendation (he has a 182) and went for Cooper Weathermaster in a 195/50/15 (they are a more common size that the 185/55/15) and cost me just over £50 a corner

So far I can tell you that they feel superb in very wet conditions, there have been a few trips to work down the M3 with ALOT of standing water and they have been very sure footed and dont twitch like summer tyres in very wet conditions.

The gumpf i read about them say the benefits are anything below 7 degrees C (which at this time of the year is a fairly frequent temp as i travel to work at 0530 am). I would also say that they have really helped with braking, when using heavy braking again they seem to have alot more grip in reserve compared to summer tyres.

However, there is a down side to them. In dry conditions on a warmish day, you cannot lean on them like a summer tyre in the corners. You can feel they have a softer sidewall and the car does understeer more when you push it. And they are a soft compound, so I think you could probably wear them out pretty quickly on warmer days on a B road blast.

As it stands im very happy with them so far and they should come into their own over the coming weeks. Especially as I live on the top of a hill which leads steeply downhill onto the junction to the main road, and ive seen a few cars overshoot at low speed into traffic.

Miles

As you will see we all like different tyres, I use Dunlops 3D but will move onto the 4d soon,I even had them on over the summer (old tow car) so never got used much and the they lasted 3 years, never had a issue with traction, Wet grip was spot on and around 40% better than summer tyres

cybernck

A vote for Sava Eskimo HP from me :).

Sign in to follow this