• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

Citroën C4 Engine Conversion Possibilities..?

calvinhorse

God this is awkward..

A mate of mine has just asked if it's possible to put a bigger Donk in his s*itroen C4..

It's the 1.4 16v (tu based?) model..

The c4 also has a 2.0hdi model which I'm guessing is a Xu engine so that should mean say a gti6 engine would fit in mount wise?

This probably sounds stupid but it's just one of those ideas at the min! His cars in good condition but not worth alot so he's wanting to keep it but add a bit more umpff!

To be fair it seams a very well handling car and is so basic and simple!

I have a funny feeling this will be made impossibly difficult by the modern wiring :(

I've searched google and found a V6 converted c4 but that's a bit much!

Any input appreciated!

dcc

the v6 fits in them nicely...

calvinhorse

I doubt that

Liquid_106

The 1.4 is an ET3 (16v TU) with an MA gearbox. EW10 is fitted as standard, so should 'easily' drop in. EW10 is also an MA gearbox, so not sure if you'd need to change shafts / huds etc, but O/S engine mount looks the same on Citroen Service and assume gearbox mount would be the same. Biggest issue would be the wiring as you've said already - don't they run a CAN Bus?

Edited by Liquid_106

calvinhorse

Cheers :)

The ew10 runs an MA box? That's worrying.

What is the CAN bus?

It's got a fully digital dash display?

I think a 206 gti engine would be a nice swap, the 138bhp one

Edited by calvinhorse

Paul_13

HDI engine is a DW not a XUD

• Like 1

Redtop

I done a 2001 xsara vts conversion into a partner combi, both being multiplex but used the complete loom ecu's etc from the xsara and kept the dash and trip computer as well. Was time consuming doing the wiring but not too hard and wouldn't pay you to do it.

From what I've been told from someone that put a 1.9td engine into a mulitplexed van is that they had to wire the alternator differently to trick the Ecu for the rest of the vehicle, so that it wouldn't go into economy mode so they could keep the original loom.

You could probably do the 138 ew conversion ok and then use the engine Ecu wiring etc from a pre multiplexed 206 GTI. That way you could keep the abs, digi speedo and airbag system. Only thing would be needing one of the cooling fan resistor kits from the likes of Merlin motorsport. Transponder code might be a problem for the unlocking of the Ecu and there might be other things. I wouldn't be so sure on the likes of shafts box etc myself, for the width of the c4 compared to other Psa models though. C4 is fairly similar to the Peugeot 307 setup and they did do a gti180 engine in them which are same as the 138 mounts iirc unless someone else knows different?

• Like 1

welshpug

Pretty sure they did a c4 vts with the ew10j4s, be4 box of course, not an ma, lmao.

Mechanically very easy, electricals depend on you finding the right ecu and engine loom, all the can/mux stuf you should be able to make talk to each other afaik.

Better off just buying a c4 vts though, different brakes, suspension and lots of small bits.

Finding a tu5jp4 110 bhp engine for it would be very easy though, but again, why?

V6 is only two steps beyond doing an mi in a 205 ;)

calvinhorse

Thanks very much for your replies everyone!

The reason why he wants to make his own car rather than buy one is he knows his car, he's looked after it and it's seriously mint, youd struggle to find a sport model in the same condition, I think his car owes him about £1300 and is worth even less so he wants to keep it and modify it, makes sence to me!

Modding it doesn't sound to straight forward tho!

dcc

sadly its a multiplexed road car. he be better off spending the money elsewhere

welshpug

Doesnt matter if its multiplex, just means you need a multiplex engine to go i there ;)

S@m

Yeah the ew10j4s with the same 180bhp (ish) as the 206 Gti180 was fitted to the c4 and, as welshpug says, it used a BE4 box, not an MA. Also, very late C4 loebs used the dreaded EP6 (1.6 turbo) engine if that took your fancy - i suppose in theory you could fit the EP6DTS from the DS3R - or EP6CDX from an RCZ, but good luck finding one.

Sam

• Like 1

Liquid_106

Pretty sure they did a c4 vts with the ew10j4s, be4 box of course, not an ma, lmao.

Yeah the ew10j4s with the same 180bhp (ish) as the 206 Gti180 was fitted to the c4 and, as welshpug says, it used a BE4 box, not an MA.

My bad - I had a quick glance at Citroen Service and first gearbox code I saw was 'MA', not Be4 :blush:

Henry Yorke

Yeah the ew10j4s with the same 180bhp (ish) as the 206 Gti180 was fitted to the c4 and, as welshpug says, it used a BE4 box, not an MA. Also, very late C4 loebs used the dreaded EP6 (1.6 turbo) engine if that took your fancy - i suppose in theory you could fit the EP6DTS from the DS3R - or EP6CDX from an RCZ, but good luck finding one.

Sam

Doesn't that translate as a Mini Cooper / 207 GTI engine then? I assume there are plenty of Minis that have been binned by careless gym bunnies down south!

S@m

Doesn't that translate as a Mini Cooper / 207 GTI engine then? I assume there are plenty of Minis that have been binned by careless gym bunnies down south!

Good point, i forgot about the mini's - cursed PSA blinkers on again!