• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

1.9 8V To Mi16 Engine Swap

starky5

Well I've owned my 1.9 gti for a little over a year now so i decided it was time to start playing! So a few days ago my mi engine arrived and im just gathering the last few parts together ready to begin my engine swap in a week and a half (I have a week off work, i hope thats long enough!).

I thought i would start this thread so i can ask all my seeming silly questions in one place as i get stuck along the way! A friend of mine has done this swap a few times but there's only so many times you can phone someone before they stop answering!!

My first question comes after i was reading my haynes manual for some info on removing my current engine. It says that if you remove both the drive shafts you need to use some peugeot tool in the gearbox to stop something dropping down in the final drive unit. What i want to know is, can i just use a piece of wooden dowel in the place of one drive shaft and then remove the second??

Thanks in advance for any help provided along the way!!

Andrew

starky5

Sorry another question already! I noticed the pipes on the oil cooler with my mi are a bit worse for wear. Can i use the oil cooler thats on my current 8v? providing its in better condition!

Anthony

No need to put anything in place of the driveshafts - just remember to drain the oil first!

Baz

Sorry another question already! I noticed the pipes on the oil cooler with my mi are a bit worse for wear. Can i use the oil cooler thats on my current 8v? providing its in better condition!

Yes, but MI's didn't actually come with an air-oil cooler like 1.9 GTi's, they had a oil/coolant heat-exchanger type set-up, so i suspect that's been added/changed at some point anyway. Just swap the whole lot from your 8v.

starky5

Thats a bonus with the drive shafts i was worried i would end up not being able to get them back in!

I guess that would explain why the pipes have rotted from the inside out, ill swap mine over then.

Thanks for the help guys

Simes

Or bin the oil cooler completely.

Drain oil

Pull the shafts out.

Use a balance bar with the hoist and you can remove the engine and gearbox together.

When I reshelled my old 205mi16 into another it took about me a week until it was running.

starky5

That's good to know, a week for just and engine swap should be manageable for me then! I would prefer to keep an oil cooler of some sort so ill try swapping mine across while I'm at it.

starky5

Right next question! What air filter do people use on the mi16? I see its a cone on the end of the AFM but does it have to be a set size or its there a proper kit?

Thanks

S@m

Has your AFM already got the 'top hat' adaptor so you can put a cone filter on? If so just measure the diameter and get a filter to suit - mines from a 2wd sierra cosworth i believe but thats just because it was the right size at the time.

As far as i know the thing about taking both shafts out and something dropping only effects very very early cars.

Edited by Sam306

starky5

Ideal im sure it does already so ill measure up and get one ordered. Ahh right that would explain mr Haynes mentioning it!

starky5

Right work is planned to begin tomorrow morning! A couple of questions before i do start!

The main one is can i use the thermostat and related parts from my current engine on the mi? i have the housing that came with the engine but thats it.

While im asking do people know what other ancillary's can be swapped across if needs be? just encase i run into any problems!!

Tomorrows plan is engine out!