• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Keljon

Top End Tap On Gti6 Engine

Keljon

i have a top end tap on my GTI6 engined 205, apparently its been there since the head was rebuilt when the engine was fitted by the previous owner, it ruins for me what is otherwise a great engine, i have done some reading on here and as far as i can tell, its likely to be either valve guides and / or bent valves.

Any pointers on doing the job? what should i check for when the head is off, what parts should i replace? where is a good source for head gasket set etc?

thanks in advance

Miles

Have a search, But you need to find a good head place to work on the head, Allot think they can do them but as you may have found out most fail, Gaskets are Pug, Bolts can be any motor factor

jamie_1992

get the head off and have it cheaked buy someone who knows what they are doing, nick from AMS (auto machine services) in east suusex are good that is who i use and he can supply head gasket

Josh_Quant

Just because the head been rebuilt doesn't mean they put new lifters in!

Edited by Josh_Quant

welshpug

Just because the head been rebuilt doesn't mean they put new lifters in!

you don't need new tappets to stop a tap 99% of the time.

Josh_Quant

What i was trying to say wouldn't you check lifters 1st.

Instead of pulling the head off straight away.

welshpug

there is that yes.

Keljon

The tap is there all the time hot or cold hence I discounted lifters as the problem

Miles

You can tell when you have experience what's tapping, but if the heads been off and repaired before because of valves I'd say it stands more than a 75% chance of being the repair work or lack of it

Keljon

let me get a video up

A tap not a tick?

Paul_13

Does sound valve related :(

jerseypug

Just doing mine at the moment. It sounded just like yours, when I got the head off I couldn't see any bent valves until I took the springs off and turned the valves in place and found 2 bent ones. I think what happens is one of the cams get turned without the belt on when setting up and 2 exhaust valves push against 2 open inlet valves. 2 evenings to strip down

had it before on a mi16 and tried new cams, lifters etc before I took the head off. I was convinced it wouldnt be valves as it ran fine and the compression was good. Turned out to be 2 slightly bent valves,

Good luck with yours

Keljon

Useful info, thanks, will aim to get it stripped down in the next couple weeks, it's not my daily driver so can take my time getting it sorted