• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Robsbc

Rust...act Now!

Robsbc

Might want to check your 205's for rust!

Found 4 rust areas underneath the rear seats. 2 rust spots were directly underneath the rear seats (the bit you sit on) in each corner of the car.

The other 2 area's also in each corner of the car are hidden underneath the carpet. Whilst the rear seats are up and against the front seats pull the carpet up normally hidden by the seats. The rust spots are on a join where the rear set floor pan joins the box section that runs along the side of the car.

I have also checked on my mates 89 car and he too had the same 4 rust spots. my car is a 91 model.

Rob

Edited by Robsbc

Robsbc
Mine has it there too!

I think it's a common thing....

Looks like 205's rust in the following areas from what I've seen from my own car and other peoples :-

1. Sills - at rear wheels & inside door shuts

2. Front slam panel (hidden behind front bumper)

3. Bonnet - internal edges

4. Engine bay - battery tray, inner front wings

5. Floor pan at boot end (underneath)

6. Under reat seats - 4 locations

7. Spare wheel cage

Is there anymore areas?

Simes, i see you are located very near to me?

Edited by Robsbc

Simes

Where are you located?

The boot seals perish and water can get in through there which I believe in turn leads to areas under the seat and down in the b pillar.

Robsbc
Where are you located?

The boot seals perish and water can get in through there which I believe in turn leads to areas under the seat and down in the b pillar.

Crawley, West Sussex

Miles

Another spot is the O/S inner sill by the Fuel tank, Without taking the tank out you can't really see this

Simes
Where are you located?

Crawley, West Sussex

If you haven't signed up already you should come over to the South Meet!

Guest hux309

depends on the area

but i find loosening some of it off then slapping jelonite on is good followed by anti zinc primer then whatever else needs doing for that particular area...paint wise

Alan_M
1. Sills - at rear wheels & inside door shuts

2. Front slam panel (hidden behind front bumper)

3. Bonnet - internal edges

4. Engine bay - battery tray, inner front wings

5. Floor pan at boot end (underneath)

6. Under reat seats - 4 locations

7. Spare wheel cage

Is there anymore areas?

1. None

2. Yes, a lot of surface rust.

3. None, recently resprayed.

4. Inner wings, only the drivers side!

5. None

6. None.

7. The cage itself, yes but i can't see it disintigrating!

Another place maybe behind the rear wheels, where there's a horizontal piece of metal where the petrol breather pipe goes into. Mines got a bit of surface rust there.

Its all getting sorted when the Mi goes in.

P.S. i've had bare metal on the corner of the sill and B pillar for over a year and still has'nt gone rusty!

Galvanised shell, what will those VW owners think?

Miles

Almost forgot, Behind the rear bumper

Guest rodneyp

yeah i have the same spots under rear seats. Had a leaky boot, checked under rear seats when id bought the car, and there was a nice puddle of water sitting there! got the leak sorted, will do the rest when i can be assed!

ed

Robsbc
Where are you located?

Crawley, West Sussex

Was contemplating coming over to the souh meet...Lost interest in meets about 5 years ago...Was a memeber of PSC back in 1995 and went to one of their meets in Brighton but never went again....

Had the 205 long Simes? I'm coming up to 9 years in Feb...

Simes
Where are you located?

Crawley, West Sussex

Was contemplating coming over to the souh meet...Lost interest in meets about 5 years ago...Was a memeber of PSC back in 1995 and went to one of their meets in Brighton but never went again....

Had the 205 long Simes? I'm coming up to 9 years in Feb...

3 and a half years,

I belong to the PSC but have never made it to a meet, try and come along to our one as it is just 205's.

Robsbc

Will do once I have been up to Skip Brown Cars and repalced my phase 1 suspension. Not really driving the car much as the driver's shock has leaked..

Sign in to follow this