• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

The Ultimate Be Trackday Gearbox

petert

We had a great day at the track yesterday but my son suggested why not build a 6 speed? Two of the three tracks we run on are short & twisty and the other is a straight hp track with just a few corners. The idea of using 3-4-5 for the short tracks, then slipping into 6 when necessary for the long track does sound appealing. The current box is 205 GTi with a 4.75 cwp. The GTi6 box with either a 4.43 or 4.75 cwp from Bacci Romano would be ideal.

Here's our speeds in km/h @ 7600 with the 205 gear set and 4.75 cwp:

Here's the GTi6 gear set with a 4.43 cwp:

Here's the GTi6 gear set with a 4.75 cwp:

Other than steering lock issues, which isn't an problem for a track car, does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Edited by petert

mollisk

PAM Sport in France also do various motorsport CWP's for BE3/6 gearboxes ( up to a 5.6:1 from memory ). These are SMAN manufactured

I use a 5 speed gearbox with 1/2 from a 1.9 gti and 3/4/5 from the 6 speed with a 4.9:1 cwp from a partner van and gripper diff set to approx 40 lb/ft.

I did try a BE 3/6 gearbox with a 4.9:1 cwp in a 1.6 gti rally car, but steering lock was a problem and 6th gear was never used when competing, only on road sections.

I find that the modified 5 speed gives the best results when building a gearbox to a budget.

Most of the French F2000 rally cars seem to use the SMAN 6 speed dog box which uses a modified 5 speed casing ( again see PAM sport site ), but that is rather expensive.

Mollisk

EdCherry

2 Gearboxs. One short track, one long track. No compromise.

Cameron

A bit excessive for track days Ed! :lol:

EdCherry

Meh, gives you something to do inbetween trackdays, not like its a long job!

mollisk

Or you could just change the fifth gear ratio to one from a 1.9 gti 'box if you require a higher top speed. The cup gearboxes for 106's came with 2 fifth gear ratios for such eventualities.

Mollisk

petert

Changing just 5th gear kills the percentage change from 4th to 5th however. I should point out it's for competitive super sprints rather than just track days. EdCherry is probably right - have two.