• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rjuhar

Help With 1.6 To 1.9 Conversion

Rjuhar

Hi, I'd like to upgrade from B6D with motronic to D6B with Jetronic. What part of the loom do I need to replace and also where can I get it? Do I need to do something else? Will it go well with BE1 gearbox? Thanks for help. Did try search but was not successful.

Carbs4me

The only thing you really need to change is the ecu, the loom wont change.

welshpug

no need to replace the loom, just the ecu+afm+dizzy.

oh and the engine :lol:

Anthony

Read what he wrote - Motronic to Jetronic.

In that instance, the loom most certainly does change.

For a regular Jetronic 1.6 to Jetronic 1.9 then you're correct in that it's just a ECU and AFM swap and leaving the loom as-is.

I didn't realise that they ever did a B6D (or B6E for that matter) on Motronic though - they certainly didn't in the UK.

welshpug

I didn't realise that they ever did a B6D (or B6E for that matter) on Motronic though - they certainly didn't in the UK.

THIS! I read the engine code and thought Jetronic !

Rjuhar

Sorry, I fu..ed it up - I have an existing 1.6 115 GTI with Jetronic, I'd like to swap to a 1.9 engine with Kent cam, ported... and remapped ECU (motronic). Since I know too little about the swaps (I'm more driver and not so much theoretical guy) I'd like to know what part of the loom has to be changed and where to get it. Sorry again for my mistake.

welshpug

Ok, all of it!

from the two brown plugs under the dash by the steering column on a RHD car.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

What age is the car?

If it's a circa 1988 onwards Phase 1.5 then it's quite straight forward to replace the whole engine loom with the Motronic one, and both will have the same two underdash brown plugs.

If it's 1987 or earlier, then it's likely to be a bit more involved and require adapting the Motronic loom and splicing it into the existing wiring. Reason is that the early cars don't have the two underdash plugs, but rather have the fuelling part of the loom seperate with a plug near the battery and the ignition side as part of the lighting loom.

Either way, the wiring loom is very different between Jetronic and Motronic, and it really would not be plausable to adapt one into the other as just about everything is different, including the ECU plug. Motronic loom from a late 205 CAT car is actually very similar to the later M1.3 (3 row) Mi16 wiring looms, with just a couple of wires difference from memory.

Rjuhar

Crap, why can't anything be simple. Since I have problems with current (although rebuilt) 1.6 115hp engine and no more ideas what's wrong I wanted tu upgrade to XU9JA modified engine with re-mapped ECU and now I know that this will not be so simple as my car is one of the last Ph1 cars from 06/87. Bollocks. I wish I were from UK as at least you have some competent 205 GTI guys there but in Slovenia I am still struggling to find one that can sort my engine out, let alone I would let him do the swap and rewireing.

Edited by Rjuhar

omri617

I have a similar issue , my car (1992) GTi was originally 1.6 (B6E) . previous owner swaped it into 1.9 (DKZ).

the ECU is still the same - ends with 340.

AFM is still the same (1.6)

have no idea which dizzy is fitted - need to check it.

Catalyser was removed - i don't know how and how does it affect the current situation

got Motronic ECU ending with 162 - and couldn't fit it because it's 3 row.

cybernck

Distributor will most likely be from a 1.6 as well, as 1.9 Motronic dizzy is just a rotor arm and cap and wouldn't work with Jetronic.

CAT doesn't really matter. You would also need a lambda sensor to go with Motronic system. But first you'd need a full wiring loom.

Anthony

AFM is different too on the Motronic models - same item as a 1.9 Mi16, Bosch part number 0 280 202 202

cybernck

Sure, but I think he already knows that :).

omri617

so i can't change the dizzy to 1.9 one , without dealing with the loom? how much does it affect the engine ?

if i fit a 1.9 afm , will i get improvement? will i feel any difference?

thanks

Anthony

You need to keep everything matched - so either run 1.6 injectors, ECU and AFM, or run 1.9 injectors, ECU and AFM.

Don't start mixing 1.6 and 1.9 fuelling/management parts on the same car.

omri617

I understand what you are saying , but which ecu i need , with 2 rows that will fit ? the one i got (162) is 3 rows.

AFM and dizzy i will manage to change i assume..

cybernck

You need to run it as a whole package, one way or another.

Therefore, to swap to Motronic ECU (162), you will also need:

- full Motronic 3-row loom

- Motronic AFM (202)

- Motronic black dizzy

- 60-2 tooth flywheel

- crank sensor and lambda sensor

- yellow injectors

That should be about it.

Or, if you want to go to Jetronic 1.9 management:

- Jetronic 2-row 1.9 ECU

- Jetronic 1.9 AFM

- Jetronic 1.9 dizzy

- yellow injectors

I think that's about it, but my brain is currently shutting off.

• Like 1

omri617

And which one would you choose ?

To go Motronic , or Jetronic ?

What's the difference anyway ?

welshpug

If you have the choice, motronic, better control of fuel+ignition.

omri617

Ok , and what about handling of the car ? speed?

Can i go Motronic when i don't have a catalyser ? (my catalyser was removed) it,s a DKZ engine.

Rjuhar

This is just a bit too complicated for me. Besides, by the end of the day the guy just wants too much for the engine even though with Kent cam, adjustable pulley and ECU.

Anthony

Can i go Motronic when i don't have a catalyser ? (my catalyser was removed) it,s a DKZ engine.

You don't need the catalyst present, but you will need to add a boss into the exhaust and run a lambda sensor.

omri617

So i believe i don't have a lambda sensor right now?

Anthony

Probably not, no - LE2-Jetronic (as used on non-CAT 1.6 and 1.9 GTi's) doesn't use lambda.

omri617

So i think my setup will be like this :

1.9 DKZ

yellow injectors

run with 359 ECU

Non-Catalysed

202 AFM

and ... dizzy? which one i need to look for?

should i expect good result? ;)