• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Best Flywheel/clutch For Xu7/j4Rs Hybrid Engine.

pugpete1108

as some may know im soon to be building an xu7 bottom ended xu10j4rs engine and i've just a couple of small questions.

on the gti6 engine im running an mi16 push clutch on the std gti6 fly, is this worth putting on the xu7 bottom end? will it fit ? or shall i leave the xu7 fly and clutch?

or will the mi16 clutch bolt up to the xu7 fly? (as it looks smaller)

also is it a good idea to fit the xu10 sump on the xu7? or does the xu7 have a trapdoor sump already?

any other suggestions on the hybrid while im at it?

pete

Anthony

XU7 is a 200mm clutch, but that shouldn't pose a problem as you're never going to have masses of torque to trouble it. A standard 205 GTi clutch fits fine.

Nothing stopping you fitting the 215mm setup from the GTi-6 though together with the Mi clutch.

XU7JP4 has a trapdoor sump as standard, although on the ones that I've seen the hole for the oil temp sensor isn't drilled and tapped, although the casting is present and it's not too difficult to do it yourself. I prefer the sump over the large "winged" GTi-6 item.

pugpete1108

I would prefer the gti6 clutch fly combo as the clutch itself has only a few k on it.shere as the xu7 is unknown.

Is there a benefit of using the xu7 pan over the gti6 one?

Anthony

Just the bulk of the GTi-6 one that I don't like - the XU7 item is basically the same sump but without the large "wings" on the sides (and without the oil temp sensor casting being drilled and tapped)

Paul_13

If you've got a Xsara box coupled to a gti6 sump you gain a few extra bellhousing bolts

pugpete1108

If you've got a Xsara box coupled to a gti6 sump you gain a few extra bellhousing bolts

that i do.

how difficult is it to tap the sensor hole? is it a std thread

Anthony

From memory, the threads are 16 x 1.5 for an XU5/9 style sensor, and 14 x 1.25 for an XU10 style sensor

welshpug

late 205's are M14x1.25 (post 01/09/1993!) which might be a way to get a truer oil temp reading than the gti6 sender would give you.

should be easy enough to tap, just find the right tap and the right size drill bit, personally I'd go with the 14mm finer threads, in which case you need a 12.8mm drill bit.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/tap_drill_chart.html

dan86

I'm building the same engine for my 306 xs 1.8. I have a choice of gearbox's to use. I've got the original 5speed xs box with push type clutch, 5 speed vts box or 6speed. Are the crank sensor pick up positions the same on all these gearbox's and the two different flywheels?

Anthony

Yes, all the same and they're interchangeable from that point of view - it's just the clutch type that you'll need to change.

dan86

Thanks for that.

Which head bolts should be used with this block/head combination. i've heard of people managing to damage aa water way with bolts that are too long/not used the spacer.

Anthony

XU7JP4 bolts (ie the ones that match the block) is what you need.

dan86

Thanks again Anthony

I just found out that the xu7 uses M11 bolts and the xu10 M12's for reference.

calvinhorse

I'm doing a similar engine conversion, can anyone tell me if I should have a washer between the valve springs and head?

And if yes is there one on each of the double valve springs?

Regarding the clutch set up, I'd use whichever is smaller, get a good quality a valeo one, keep the weight down and keep it reving!

welshpug

One large washer with a step iirc, but miles away from my pile of bits to take a pic :lol:

xu7 uses a washer integral to the stem seal iirc. Which wont suit double springs, which head are you using?

calvinhorse

Cheers welshy, 2.0 306 xsi with 6 cams

welshpug

ah, same lower spring seat as the xu7 from memory, would need swapping for J4RS stuff, not sure if the top of thevalve guide is the same shape.

pugpete1108

I'm assuming all this is only relevant if you are swapping internals about?

I'm just planning on bolting the j4rs head on the xu7 bottom?

I guess from above using the xu7 headbolts and gasket?

Edited by pugpete1108

calvinhorse

ah, same lower spring seat as the xu7 from memory, would need swapping for J4RS stuff, not sure if the top of thevalve guide is the same shape.

Well I've used the gti6 stem seals, the spring look to sit nice on the head, I have the 6 top hats..?