• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Mi16Mick

What Exactly Is Involved In A Xu10 205 Conversion?

205Mi16Mick

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me exactly what is involved in a XU10 205 conversion in a nutshell? Or point me to a thread with the info? I can't seem to find as much info on them as on the 1.9L mi16 conversion.

Many thanks,

Michael

dcc

that is by far the most vague question which can be asked on the subject.

a vague answer is : try a search.

its been covered 100's of times :)

jamie_1992

modified your loom to use 205 multi plugs, mi16 clutch if using 205 gearbox, thermostat adapter to use 205 top hose, solid bottom engine mount, re angled exhaust manifold and an unlocked ecu and you should be able to work the rest out yourself

welshpug

which XU10?

J2? J2TE, J4, J4R, J4RS, J4TE?

chipstick

Plenty of threads on this.

Go to the engine conversion section and take your pick.

In my sig is a link to mine, I showed the most common things in there I would say.

205Mi16Mick

J4R.

Thanks Jamie, that was what I was after. So it is really similar to a XU9J4Z conversion.

Thanks Chipstick, I found your thread today - it's just that I don't know what details are missing. :) I am tossing up either a XU9J4Z or a XU10J4R and I was trying to work out the differences between what each involves.

dcc

why bother with a j4r?

welshpug

cheap and plentiful, RS isn't common out there I bet, and the 9J4 is old and also fairly scarce.

stick some cams and bodies, job done.

205Mi16Mick

Exactly. :) How much is a GTi-6 Throttle Body over in the UK?

Anthony

The J4R is pretty much just a detuned GTi-6, and hence much of the work required for the conversion is the same.

I imagine that the exhaust manifold will be less of an issue as it's a compact cast item rather than the tubular banana manifold that the GTi-6 has, and the downpipe won't need the same amount of work to make it match up, but most of the rest should be similar - plumbing is the same, wiring will be similar, MC clearance issues will be the same, etc.

The J4R conversion is not commonly done here in the UK given the availability and cheapness of GTi-6 engines.

In standard form, I'd have the XU9J4Z though if you can find a good one, as the J4R is rather underwhelming as it leaves the factory. Should be much closer to a GTi-6 with the RS cams (or one of Petert's regrinds), inlet and exhaust manifolds fitted, but I can see the cost being prohibitive if you can't find them down under as shipping them from the UK won't be cheap I suspect.

MrP

I had a j4r on 270 cams & throttle bodies in my 205 and the exhaust manifold was a straight fit onto the 1.9 down pipe. I swopped it for a J4rs around a year later which had standard cams and the difference was around 3hp between them, wish I hadnt of bothered.

It was a good engine and was a fast little car, I would recommend it just make sure you uprate the cams.