• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexRS2782

Surface Rust On The Boot Floor & Treatment/removal

AlexRS2782

Quick question. Basically over the colder months i'm looking to finally deal with the small amount of surface rust that i've had on the boot floor of my 205 since i bought it back in '08. Story is that the surface rust appears to have been caused by water spilling/leaking out of the rear water bottle before i bought the car and settling in the soundproofing under the mat in the boot and obviously the retention of water has caused surface rust on the boot floor over time.

One of the first things i did when i got the car was remove the water bottle and all the soundproofing/mat in the boot anyway as it was in a pretty nasty state. The rust has not got worse over the last 4 years, but it's got to the stage now where i want to tidy the boot up, so that i can get a new mat in the back and put some new acoustic carpet to cover the currently bare metal rear panels, but obviously don't want to do this until the rust is dealt with, as otherwise it feels like i'm just ignoring it & covering it over :(

Best overall pic of the floor:

PugRust.jpg

Basically i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to dealing with this, but would rather get my hands dirty and sort it myself, rather than paying someone to do it, and it will give me something to do :D

What's the best way of dealing with it from a point of view of the initial removal/treatment and then repainting once removed?

Many Thanks :)

Tom Fenton

Wire brush on angle grinder, kurust, paint.

AlexRS2782

Wire brush on angle grinder, kurust, paint.

Cool - nice & simple then :)

Edited by AlexRS2782

Tom Fenton

Pretty much, from the pictures it looks very minor surface only.

AlexRS2782

Yeah it's fairly minor :) It's just become an annoyance more than anything now really as it's been there so long & i think i've ignored it long enough :hehe: