• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vtifan

Is The Gti6 Box Really A Bad Idea In A 205

vtifan

i am putting a gti6 engine in my 205 and was thinking about the 6 speed box as i loved the ratios on my old mi16 for a b road blast but hated the ridiculous revs at motorway speeds,how bad is the lack of steering lock to live with ?will i be struggling to get around mini roundabouts etc or is it just parking that will be a bit of a mare.also does it take much extra work to fit the 6 speed,any extra parts required ? cheers guys

allye

Depends on what you use the car for, I lived with it living in a large town fine. Personally I didn't find the lack of lock that much of a problem, once you know where it bottoms out you rarely hit it again.

There was bit of a debate on it not long ago, I bloody loved it though, I had a extended gear lever made, completely over hauled the linkage sytem/bushes etc and it was an abosolute joy to use and drive, the ration were great keeping it absolutley on the boil all the time (if you wanted) On a run I even got 43mpg :D

vtifan

sounds good to me mate,do i need any parts off the 306 apart from the box,linkages or gearstick etc,just use 1.9 shafts ?

allye

Its the same as using a xsara vts gear box, you need to change the diff for a 205 BE one but maintaining the 6speed crown wheel, this allows you to use normal GTI drive shafts, you then need to change the gear change arm ontop of the gearbox, again for a 205 one so you can use the normal 205 linkages, finally you need to change the clutch release arm for a 205 item so use the standard pull cable without bodging.

If you have a 205 GTI gearbox to take parts from you're good to go basically! Once last thing is to use a BE1 lift up reverse system for the 6speed which includes the cable and sleve for the gear lever (BE1 levers also had a little grommit unlike BE3's)

S@m

I don't think the xsara vts 5spd box is that bad for economy since i used to get 42mpg in my xsara which is a much heavier car. Having borrowed a friends 205 with a 6spd i found it unusable day to day but then i live in quite a rural area with small tight towns and dodgy lanes - i found the 306 gti6 bad enough. They both have their up and downsides - i personally think the 5spd is the better allrounder. All i'll say is read up on the many past discussions about this and then bite the bullet and choose one - its not like you can't swap it later!

Tom Fenton

Its a bit of a marmite thing, you love it or hate it.

There are no massive changes required to fit either gearbox, so if required you can easily change either way.

S@m

I bloody love marmite.

Hate it myself! :lol:

Tom Fenton

I like Marmite, I do not like the 6 speed BE gearbox.

Ryan

i am putting a gti6 engine in my 205 and was thinking about the 6 speed box as i loved the ratios on my old mi16 for a b road blast but hated the ridiculous revs at motorway speeds

The 6-speed isn't a 5-speed with an extra gear on top. 6th isn't all that different to what 5th would be in a 5-speed, you just get five lower gears instead of four.

For example, 70mph is about 3500rpm with an Mi16 gearbox, and just under 3400 with a GTi-6 6-speed, so you're not gaining all that much.

Cameron

I would frequently cruise around in 6th eating Marmite on toast. Lovely. ^_^

• Like 3

S@m

And there i am bouncing off the limiter in fifth - stuck with kerry gold!

baz205gti

i had one on my 205 gti6 for about 5 mins and hated it on the first drive, could of given it 911 performance but the lack of round about lock is horrible in my opinion, have a 5 speed 306 16v xsi box now,

mine is a track car but road legal

Sign in to follow this